1974 70hp triumph dies when you put it in gear to go foward

bfields83

Cadet
I have a 1974 70hp triumph outboard motor was told the motor will idle and start just fine but when u push the throttle to go foward it will die. I'm going to be pulling the boat in the garage today. Where should I start? I'm no expert but sounds like some type of fuel problem. Anyways help would really be appreciated!

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1974 70hp triumph dies when you put it in gear to go foward

I would start with a good carb cleaning. Make sure the high speed jets are clean. They are behind the drain plug. use a small wire like from a bread wrapper twist tie to run through them. Spray our well with carb cleaner. Best is to soak them overnight and use compressed air to blow everything out. Oh, and welcome to iboats.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

How many RPM's are you turning at idle?

bfields83

Cadet

Not sure on the rpms. I also noticed he was using a pretty old metal gas can and the fuel line was pretty rough. I'm not even sure on how to check rpms. Kind of new to this stuff but thank u both for the advice. Hoping the carb cleaning works!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I ask because the RPM's may drop too-low from being under load impacting your ignition.

TinyTach RPM/hourmeters are pretty inexpensive. Longer termi, if you're using a PowerPilot, there should be a tach sender (grey wire) terminated inside for something more permanent.

Start with a carb cleaning and don't forget the idle jets since the idle circuit is doing most/all of the lifting when you 1st put it into gear (unless your link-n-sync is scroood...that's another issue).