1989 9.9 Johnson single lever remote control throttle cable connection

sballance

Recruit
I recently upgraded from a 1978 Evinrude 9.9 with a single lever remote control to a 1989 Johnson 9.9. The gear shift cable connects the same as the older motor but there is not enough room for the throttle connector to go through and connect to the throttle stub because the cable connection from the tiller handle blocks it. Is there a different cable end for 1989 or does the tiller cable have to be disconnected?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 9.9 Johnson single lever remote control throttle cable connection

Usually when you convert to remote on those motors with cable throttle systems, you need to remove throttle cable & or the whole tiller unit. Then if it is electric start you will also have to have a start & kill button on the remote.

sballance

Recruit

Thanks,
I was thinking that would be the answer... it would be nice to have the remote control and the tiller too... like the 1978.

sballance

Recruit

P.S. I want to thank you for all of the great information on the Evinrude 9.9/15 you have shared in LeeRoy's Ramblings.... I have consulted them many times, solved some of my problems myself and was able to carry on intelligent conversations with the various mechanics that I have had over the years.