1979 6 hp evinrude motor stalling

Bobposdal

Cadet
Motor idles fine, runs (in gear) for a few minutes, stalls, repeat. motor has about 20 total hours on it. Cleaned carbs, new fuel pump, new plugs. I have had two mechanics look at it and they can not find anything wrong with it. Your help is greatly appreciated!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 6 hp evinrude motor stalling

Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture on the carb. What's the compression on it ??

Last edited:

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Next time it goes to stall, squeeze the primer bulb and see if it revives it for a few more seconds.

Bobposdal

Cadet

Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture on the carb. What's the compression on it ??

I had a shop clean the carbs, I dont know if they adjusted it. I can bring it back and have them check the compression.

Thanks for responding boobie, I may not get an answer till this weekend though.

Bobposdal

Cadet

Next time it goes to stall, squeeze the primer bulb and see if it revives it for a few more seconds.

Thank you I will try that this weekend before i have the compression checked. If it helps what should I do next? I dont have internet connection there.

nwcove

Admiral

can you barrel run the motor? did both mechs run it in a barrel with their own fuel supply without issue??

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same motor, with a similar problem. Turns out the ground wire for the kill switch was almost severed. It would at times have proper ground and run fine, then the ground would not be having contact and the motor would just die. It took awhile to diagnose this. Just an idea. Thanks

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Thank you I will try that this weekend before i have the compression checked. If it helps what should I do next? I dont have internet connection there.

If the motor revives when squeezing the primer bulb it is an indication that you have a fuel pumping problem. After the motor uses up the gas in the carb bowl your motor dies, until you prime it again.

A fuel pumping problem usually comes from a defective fuel pump, a defective fuel hose from the gas tank, an non-venting tank, a defective inlet needle on the carb or an air leak on the fuel line somewhere. So the first thing to do is try it again with the tank's fuel cap off to rule out the tank venting. If you have another primer hose try that next. Check around the connections of your hose for air leaks and make sure the screws on the fuel pump are good and snug. Lastly, remove the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and start up the motor or just pull the starter cord and verify if fuel pulsates out of that fuel line. If it does, it indicates that the fuel pump is working and your problem almost has to be a stuck inlet needle on the carb. If fuel doesn't come out and you have ruled out the other things, then it is probably the fuel pump.

Of course if squeezing the primer bulb does not revive the motor, then your problem is not the pumping of fuel and everything I said above can pretty much be disregarded.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

nwcoves point is interesting. I doubt you gave the mechanic your fuel tank and hose since they most likely would not even want it. If they ran it with no problem and you are now having a problem then I would take a very close look at that fuel hose, it's connections and how well that tank of yours is venting or is the vent even open. Was the fuel hose hooked up in the right orientation. As you may know, fuel only goes one way. Good luck.

Last edited:

Bobposdal

Cadet

nwcoves point is interesting. I doubt you gave the mechanic your fuel tank and hose since they most likely would not even want it. If they ran it with no problem and you are now having a problem then I would take a very close look at that fuel hose, it's connections and how well that tank of yours is venting or is the vent even open. Was the fuel hose hooked up in the right orientation. As you may know, fuel only goes one way. Good luck.

I actually gave both of them the fuel tank with new gas and hose. They both ran it for 30 to 45 minutes with no issues. The first guy said he would clean the carbs but he didn't think they needed it. He charged me so I hope he cleaned them. The second guy didn't charge me and said make sure the cap was fully vented. (i don't think I opened the vent it all the way so I thought that was the problem, it wasn't.

nwcove

Admiral

I actually gave both of them the fuel tank with new gas and hose. They both ran it for 30 to 45 minutes with no issues. The first guy said he would clean the carbs but he didn't think they needed it. He charged me so I hope he cleaned them. The second guy didn't charge me and said make sure the cap was fully vented. (i don't think I opened the vent it all the way so I thought that was the problem, it wasn't.

jmo, but,ok.....but did they run it off your tank and hose??? most shops wont even accept a tank of fuel with a motor, they prefer to run on a known "good" tank, with "known" good connectors etc. any attwood stuff in the mix???

Bobposdal

Cadet

nwcove, thanks for responding, yes both used my tank, hose and gas. The 2nd "shop", was i guy who does it on the side. He seamed knowledgeable to me, but i haven't any knowledge of these motors so..? Any additional information is appreciated. BTW what is attwood stuff?

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

"attwood stuff" is aftermarket odds n ends that you can get at your local hardware store or walmart. if your fuel connectors are that brand, change them out to omc. from my experience, 99% of the time, they just cause grief. jmo

Bobposdal

Cadet

OK, SO a ran the motor yesterday for almost an hour, (no wake area) ran fine. Ran it a few hours later at higher speeds then lower speeds and died. It started right back up, idled ,died. started up, started to die pumped the bulb and it stayed alive! I did this several times with good success.
I had the fuel pump replaced last year, and the carb cleaned, but last year I was not venting the gas cap. Could not venting the gas cap have ruined this fuel pump? Is that what you think the problem is? All suggestions appreciated!

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I can't say that the non-venting ruined your fuel pump. I have on occasion forgot to vent a tank, which my motor reminded me of in about 1 minute from the dock. Never had any lasting problem.

As I said above, if you prime the bulb and the motor revives, it pretty much tells you that you have some sort of problem pumping fuel into the carb. It doesn't identify the culprit for you but there really are only a few that get involved. The fuel tank is one. Venting or clogging. If you have another tank, that can eliminate that culprit. If not, just remove the cap and you at least eliminate half the problem. Venting.

The next is the primer hose. The problems here can be in the connectors, allowing air leaks or in the check valves. I had a hose that only gave me trouble when it got warm. In the cool mornings it worked fine, in the warmer afternoons, it broke down. I assumed it was the check valves in the primer bulb but I replaced the entire unit anyways.

The next area to check is your fuel filter on the motor. Tank off the thumb screw on the front and make sure the screen if very clean. Now that you are looking at the fuel pump make sure all 4 screws are good and snuggly tight. If the pump is not snug against the gasket on the powerhead it will cause you problems. After that I would remove the fuel hose from the output of the fuel pump that is going to your carburetor. If you pull on the starter it should pump fuel out (remove the spark plugs if you don't want the motor to start). If it doesn't then I would probably say at this point that you have a bad fuel pump. You can either get a pump repair kit or a completely new fuel pump.

If fuel does pulsate out of the fuel pump when you pull the starter cord, I would look at your carburetor for the problem. Perhaps the guy that cleaned your carburetor put in a new inlet needle but didn't install the new little spring that connects to the float arm that ensures it opens when the float starts to fall from the useage of fuel. The older inlet needles didn't need this spring and perhaps your old one didn't have one. The new needles have a little rubber tip that can stick in the carb and prevent fuel from flowing. If the guy just looked at your old one he may not have known that this little spring is a new addition to the design. To prevent exactly what is happening to you.

Anyways, that is the approach I would take. Maybe some others have some additional thoughts. Good luck.

Last edited:

Bobposdal

Cadet

I can't say that the non-venting ruined your fuel pump. I have on occasion forgot to vent a tank, which my motor reminded me of in about 1 minute from the dock. Never had any lasting problem.

As I said above, if you prime the bulb and the motor revives, it pretty much tells you that you have some sort of problem pumping fuel into the carb. It doesn't identify the culprit for you but there really are only a few that get involved. The fuel tank is one. Venting or clogging. If you have another tank, that can eliminate that culprit. If not, just remove the cap and you at least eliminate half the problem. Venting.

The next is the primer hose. The problems here can be in the connectors, allowing air leaks or in the check valves. I had a hose that only gave me trouble when it got warm. In the cool mornings it worked fine, in the warmer afternoons, it broke down. I assumed it was the check valves in the primer bulb but I replaced the entire unit anyways.

The next area to check is your fuel filter on the motor. Tank off the thumb screw on the front and make sure the screen if very clean. Now that you are looking at the fuel pump make sure all 4 screws are good and snuggly tight. If the pump is not snug against the gasket on the powerhead it will cause you problems. After that I would remove the fuel hose from the output of the fuel pump that is going to your carburetor. If you pull on the starter it should pump fuel out (remove the spark plugs if you don't want the motor to start). If it doesn't then I would probably say at this point that you have a bad fuel pump. You can either get a pump repair kit or a completely new fuel pump.

If fuel does pulsate out of the fuel pump when you pull the starter cord, I would look at your carburetor for the problem. Perhaps the guy that cleaned your carburetor put in a new inlet needle but didn't install the new little spring that connects to the float arm that ensures it opens when the float starts to fall from the useage of fuel. The older inlet needles didn't need this spring and perhaps your old one didn't have one. The new needles have a little rubber tip that can stick in the carb and prevent fuel from flowing. If the guy just looked at your old one he may not have known that this little spring is a new addition to the design. To prevent exactly what is happening to you.

Anyways, that is the approach I would take. Maybe some others have some additional thoughts. Good luck.

Thank you for that information, I was hoping to have that checked this weekend, but unfortunately I was unable to. I may not have a chance for a while, but I will as soon as I am able. Thank you again to everyone who has responded to help me with this problem.

handifly

Seaman

I have the same motor. You keep mentioning "carbs". I hope your weren't charged for rebuilding 2 carbs....