1960 40hp Johnson Recharging System

Hey guys,

I recently wired an electric start on my 1960 40hp Johnson. I do a lot of stop and go fishing and I dont want to run into the problem of a dead battery out on the water. I was wondering if there was some type of recharging system like an alternator I can put in the engine? Also, would such a small engine produce enough power to recharge a battery or should I just go with a a one/two bank onboard charger? Thanks

Jason

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 40hp Johnson Recharging System

They did have a generator option.

However, putting the parts together gets expensive.

A fully charged battery will stop and start a TON of times. I charge mine in the spring after sitting all winter. I then keep a solar trickle charger on it while not in use.

If you don't have items like trolling motor, stereo and such hooked up to your starting battery, don't sweat it.

lindy46

Captain

They did have a generator option.

However, putting the parts together gets expensive.

A fully charged battery will stop and start a TON of times. I charge mine in the spring after sitting all winter. I then keep a solar trickle charger on it while not in use.

If you don't have items like trolling motor, stereo and such hooked up to your starting battery, don't sweat it.

X2 - I use a solar charger on my pontoon and don't have to charge the battery all summer.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Remember, you always can pull the rope to start it. No electricity required. But just for your information, the charging system/kit for that motor is a belt driven DC generator. Voltage regulator and other things also required. It puts out up to 10 amps at speeds above fast idle. Nothing at idle speed.