'50's Evinrude Lightwin 3HP Missing Pull Start Alternatives

let0927

Seaman Apprentice
Forgive me if there is an obvious answer but I can't find it. My wife's grandpa gave me the motor but it is missing the pull start assembly. The motor is in excellent shape, gas tank is clean, still had oil in the lower unit (replaced it already) and is overall clean. Only problem, no pull start. I will probably get out there to try and crank it with my impact wrench in a little while but just thinking ahead to a permanent fix for the lake etc. Found one on ebay for $65, may go that route if no other solutions.

Thanks

nwcove

Admiral
Re: '50's Evinrude Lightwin 3HP Missing Pull Start Alternatives

Forgive me if there is an obvious answer but I can't find it. My wife's grandpa gave me the motor but it is missing the pull start assembly. The motor is in excellent shape, gas tank is clean, still had oil in the lower unit (replaced it already) and is overall clean. Only problem, no pull start. I will probably get out there to try and crank it with my impact wrench in a little while but just thinking ahead to a permanent fix for the lake etc. Found one on ebay for $65, may go that route if no other solutions.

Thanks
There is a rope sheave on the flywheel. Dont use an impact gun or drill to start it.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Make sure you get the correct recoil as there are TWO different recoils for the 3hp Evinrudes. One uses three cogs to grip a center ring on the top of the flywheel, the other uses a nylon rocker arm to grab the flywheel.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize section.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, do not use an impact wrench on the flywheel nut. It will cram the flywheel down on the tapered crankshaft, expanding and destroying the flywheel.

Those recoil starters are plentiful. Most have the single nylon pawl, but the earliest ones had the three pawls setup.