1983 Evinrude 50HP - Intermittent Loss Of Cylinder

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started a thread after an issue with my engine losing power: http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/1983-50hp-bad-coil-622103.html

The night it happened we did not have the trailer so we docked it and went up to get it a few days later. When we went to pick it up it ran perfectly! Go figure! I went ahead and brought it home anyway.

Is it possible for a coil to begin misfiring after it's been run for awhile, sat for a bit and then restarted? I had a car when I was young that would do similar things. I think they called it "heat soak".

I am planning on replacing the top coil since it's arcing out, but was wondering if I should replace both coils at the same time?

Also, I saw the coil lead runs into a connector. When I replace the coil do I splice in the new coil lead or can the old lead be removed from the connector and the new lead put in?

Thanks!!

Gary

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1983 Evinrude 50HP - Intermittent Loss Of Cylinder

If you dont mind spending more replace both or just start with the top one and see how it goes.
The old pins can be removed from the connector. Pull them steadily and work them out with a small screwdriver

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The new coil pins will just slide in

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought that might be the case. Thanks!