1990 Evinrude 88 SPL Water Pump

dmay

Cadet
I have a 1990 Evinrude 88 SPL. I took it out on Saturday, and the overheating alarm sounded. I looked back and it was not pissing out water. The week before it was working perfectly. I checked for a seaweed clog at the water intake holes, and the water outlet line. They were clear. What could be the problem? Is there a water pump fuse? Has the water pump gone bad? Please help.

Yooper265

Recruit
Re: 1990 Evinrude 88 SPL Water Pump

I have a 1990 Evinrude 88 SPL. I took it out on Saturday, and the overheating alarm sounded. I looked back and it was not pissing out water. The week before it was working perfectly. I checked for a seaweed clog at the water intake holes, and the water outlet line. They were clear. What could be the problem? Is there a water pump fuse? Has the water pump gone bad? Please help.

Did you check the water outlet with a toothpick or small wire , mine has plugged a few times .
I also had the same thing happen to me out on Lake Superior last year on my 1990 88hp, no restrictions on lower unit water inlets ,good water flow out the pisser hole , I pulled the hood off and the motor was not running hot , I ran it back to port 15 miles and many times since and it never has done it again , maybe yours is just a fluke like mine was ?
I checked the temp switch on the motor and associated wiring and all was ok .
Otherwise , if it's getting hot / overheating you need a new water impeller .
Good luck , Dean

Last edited:

dmay

Cadet
Re: 1990 Evinrude 88 SPL Water Pump

Thanks guys. I have checked the outlet with a wire to see if it was plugged. It was not. I'm thinking it is the impeller.