74 Johnson 70hp electric fuel pump?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 74 Johnson 70 hp, I'm considering by passing the stock fuel pump, and installing an electric fuel pump. My fuel tank is a built in tank, and I want to get away from squeezing that primer bulb. Can this be done? What fuel pressure should I run? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 74 Johnson 70hp electric fuel pump?

If bulb, hose and fittings are in good shape, there isn't much need for priming the bulb regularly. It is NOT recommended that you use an electric pump for safety reasons.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Chinewalker is correct, NO electric fuel pump, there is no way to control fuel flow if a fuel line breaks.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class

What safety reasons? Please explain. It's just it seems to me the fuel system on these older motors are expensive, and unreliable. Larger boats have electric fuel pumps, right?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

As I said in post #3, there is no way to control the fuel flow if a fuel line breaks or is leaking. Fuel/fumes under the cowel of an outboard with coils and spark plugs is a dangerous mix.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see your point, but, if a fuel line breaks with a manual pump, wouldn't fuel still be released under the cowl for a time, until the motor runs out of fuel. I thought the newer motors have electric pumps, because of the fuel injection. How do they avoid this problem? I do see your point, not arguing the fact, just trying to engineer around it. But if it can't be done safely, then it won't be done. I was going to put the pump, down by the fuel tank, if that makes a difference?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Electric pump is OK, if you rig it to stop pumping, about 10-15 seconds if engine does not start, and stops pumping if engine stalls, or stops running.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Clanton said it all.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds to complicated for right now. Maybe in the future. Thanks for the info, and on how to go about it safely.. Thanks for looking out for my safety, and my boats.