1987 60hp Evinrude speed and power issues

sjb0239

Cadet
After several minor repairs, I was able to launch with some success. With fresh gas, new plugs and clean carbs, it ran pretty darn good. However, shouldn't a 60hp pushing a 15 foot aluminum crestliner runabout do better then 26 mph? I think it lacks a little power and speed. I really want to pull a skier? I tried to get a 210 lbs son up on 2 skis. I couldn't get the beginner out of the water. Im sure more power would have helped. Do the carbs need synced or balanced, could there be timing issues, etc. or perhaps it is what it is. Running a 15 pitch prop. Thoughts?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 60hp Evinrude speed and power issues

Is it running on all 3 cyls ?? What's the compression on it ??

sjb0239

Cadet

Is there an easy way to determine if I am hitting all three? Also, how do I check the compression on all three. Sounds like I will need to purchase a tool.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get an insulated pliers and pull one spark plug wire at a time when it's running about 2000 rpm. If a cyl doesn't lose rpm it's not running. Go to the top secret files at the beginning of this form and look up compression testing. Harbor Freight has some good prices on gauges or maybe a parts house will rent you one.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could be improperly propped also. How many rpms are you getting at WOT?

sjb0239

Cadet

OK Mr Phipps, lots of questions about RPM's:). It must be time to install a tachometer. Is that difficult and expensive for a do it yourselfer like me?

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not at all difficult. You will need to make sure you get a tach designed for outboards, an auto tach won't work. For an Evinrude it will need to support 6 pulses.

As far as installing, there are 3 connections, 4 if it has a backlight. There is a switched 12V, ground and sensor wire. The sensor wire is a gray wire in the engine wiring harness. Depending on your controls it may have a quick connect for the tach.

Find someplace to mount it, hook up the wires and you're all set!

Last edited:

sjb0239

Cadet

Mr Phipps,
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like if I am interested in achieving maximum performance out of this old machine, a functioning tach is needed. Your comments gave me confidents. I will make that the next order of business b4 attempting any fine tuning techniques. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes?