1960 Evinrude 18HP Fastwin Governor Plate, Throttle issues.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1960 18HP Evinrude Fastwin that is starting to really shape up for its new home on the back of my fouteen foot Jon-Boat. I have covered all the bases except one. When I give it full throttle while it is off and in gear I notice that the governor plate stops a full 3/16 of an inch from the stop. On my 57 sportwin it goes all the way to the stop. Also, when I rotate the throttle lever in the direction of full throttle, well, the range of motion seems to stop short of its intended target--which are the letters F A S T ! I want to know I can go as fast as I can if the need arises:) Is the plate supposed to stop short? I can nudge it to the stop gently with my finger but it will not get there mechanically. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the last bit before I mail the cover to canada for repainting and decals.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1960 Evinrude 18HP Fastwin Governor Plate, Throttle issues.

HI Tom. The motor should have a stop on it so that it can not be over revved while in Neutral. However, while in either FWD or REV gear, you should have full range of motion from the throttle. The butterfly valve on the carb should be level when at WOT. I have a '66 20hp Johnson which is virtually identical to your motor and it pushes my 14' semi-V hull tinny along at around 20mph. You should get about the same from your set up once she's dialed in properly.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:rolleyes:
HI Tom. The motor should have a stop on it so that it can not be over revved while in Neutral. However, while in either FWD or REV gear, you should have full range of motion from the throttle. The butterfly valve on the carb should be level when at WOT. I have a '66 20hp Johnson which is virtually identical to your motor and it pushes my 14' semi-V hull tinny along at around 20mph. You should get about the same from your set up once she's dialed in properly.

Hi KFA4303--I guess that means that it is not adjusted right, as I suspected. Trouble is, I do not see how I can increase the range of motion to get the governor to bottom out on the stop like it seems it should be doing? Nothing in the service manual that I can see either.:rolleyes:

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The full range of motion ends where the plate has a detent in it for neutral, as it should--however, when rotating handle to wide open throttle in gear,look on the side of the motor(port side) there is a finite range of motion because a portion of the governor plate would hit a stop on the block--mine stops 3/16 inch before the stop?

Last edited:

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will pull the silencer tommorow and see if the butterfly valve is fully open at wot. Thanks! The part I am calling a governor is part of the magneto diagrams and referred to as "linkage stop"