1960 18 Hp Evinrude Fastwin Smokey Motor

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got the motor running today. Shifts like a swiss watch, holds a nice idle and starts right up..very proud to get this far with rudimentary skill set. I was dissapointed to see that the motor smokes enough to be annoying. Why does it smoke if I am using 24 to 1 mix of 11 ounces to two gallons of fuel. It smokes more as it idles longer and then when I open throttle it will smoke enough to be an issue. Unfortunately, I cant open the throttle for too long because the prop will sling all the water out of the can and then I wont have enough water for pick up by impeller. One of the fins over the prop is snapped off..I think thats why it tosses the water. I am making a new fin. The motor is super clean otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS! You guys have made this motors new lease on life possible. Too me its like a time machine on my jon boat. Just picked up a 10 hp 57 sportwin today with tank as a fall project

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1960 18 Hp Evinrude Fastwin Smokey Motor

Is this a duplicate post?

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I see it is posted twice.? Dont know why

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got the motor running today. Shifts like a swiss watch, holds a nice idle and starts right up..very proud to get this far with rudimentary skill set. I was dissapointed to see that the motor smokes enough to be annoying. Why does it smoke if I am using 24 to 1 mix of 11 ounces to two gallons of fuel. It smokes more as it idles longer and then when I open throttle it will smoke enough to be an issue. Unfortunately, I cant open the throttle for too long because the prop will sling all the water out of the can and then I wont have enough water for pick up by impeller. One of the fins over the prop is snapped off..I think thats why it tosses the water. I am making a new fin. The motor is super clean otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS! You guys have made this motors new lease on life possible. Too me its like a time machine on my jon boat. Just picked up a 10 hp 57 sportwin today with tank as a fall project

Don't worry about the smoke,that's normal when running in a barrel,out on the water you won't notice it.Don't rev it more than 1/3 throttle in the barrel and if you put it in gear it will empty the can pretty quick.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks geoffwga1. BTW I got excited and started it in gear twice--I hope that did not screw anything up. I GUESS I AM ALL DONE. I may post about adjusting throttle linkage and cam follower for maximum output though. Thanks again

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Tom. The excess smoke is perfectly normal when running it in a test tank and you can/t/don/t want to go much above idle in the tank anyway. Be sure you're using Champion J4C or J6C plugs as well. Of course, you may only be running on one cylinder, which would cause a very rich mix, but we'll assume you're ok for now. If you are running on both cylinders and the problems persist after you're out on the water, you may wan to do a dcarb procedure using SeaFoam, or similar product. Here are some handy links.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
1960 Evinrude 15033 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seafoam sounds like a good idea but i have a silencer on my carb so i dont know how i would apply it. Thanks i will check that out. Seriously dont think running on one cyl. it would be notiecably rough at idle and acceleration, if it idled at all

nwcove

Admiral

you can do a slow gentle decarb by adding seafoam to your fuel.....it will make it smoke worse until the treated fuel is used up. ( i add a splash of seafoam to every tank of fuel....just to keep things clean)

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Will Do On the seafoam--thanks!

kfa4303

Banned

You can also temporarily remove the air silencer to allow you to spray some seafoam into the carb throat too, if need be. Don't be alarmed when it smokes crazy. In fact, you may want to warn the neighbors about the smoke, seriously. Here's a vid to give you an idea what to expect.

SeaFoaming 1965 18 HP Johnson - YouTube

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can also temporarily remove the air silencer to allow you to spray some seafoam into the carb throat too, if need be. Don't be alarmed when it smokes crazy. In fact, you may want to warn the neighbors about the smoke, seriously. Here's a vid to give you an idea what to expect.

SeaFoaming 1965 18 HP Johnson - YouTube

Thats a lotta smoke----smart to do that in the evening too.

kfa4303

Banned

After you run some seafoam through the motor in the test tank, you'll need to take the boat out on the open water and run her at WOT for 2-30minutes to bring her up to temp to burn off the last of the carbon build up. After the treatment is complete, you should notice smoother, quieter performance which should equate to better fuel economy and handling.

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi KFA good video is there a alternative to seafoam ? and running it through in the tank does the engine not start to suck the smoke back through the carb with the air box off, just picked up an 8HP and would like to do this

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Slate. You can also use DeepCreep which is handy because it already comes in aerosol form and is made by Seafoam. It's also great for getting rust bolts loose. You can also use a product called Mystery Oil, which is essentially the same thing (i.e. a combustible organic solvent). You should be able to find them all at any auto store. You're right that if the carb sucks if dirty/smokey air it could cause the motor to konk out. As a result, some folks will set up a small fan, or wait for a windy day to carry the smoke away. Although, the simplest solution is to just cut a piece of cardboard and use it like a fan to blow the smoke out of the way as needed. You'll want to spray the DeepCreep into the carb while the motor is running in the tank. The rpms will drop when you do, so you might need to twist the throttle and raise the rpm a bit.

Edit: I just noticed your were in Wales! I'm not sure what they have across the Pond, but you can also use WD-40 to do the same job, if you can't find Seafoam, DeepCreep, or Mystery Oil.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The Deep Creep is not as good as the Seafoam aerosol version. I would just buy the Seafoam myself. Not sure WD40 would break down carbon at all either.

Other similar products to the Seafoam is Carbon Guard by OMC. In fact, each dealer makes it own version for decarbing a motor. I have used the OMC product, as well as the Merc product with success. I like the Seafoam best though.

kfa4303

Banned

I don't think they have SeaFoam in the UK.

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes I can get but it's ?18.50 +pp ($29+pp) rip off,,,,,I liked the sound of WD-40 anyone eles used this ??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

WD40 is a completely different product. Not a decarbing product. Not even good for loosening up stuck bolts,lol.

I do use it however to wipe down powerheads and clean old gunk off of motors.

Unfortunately boating is not always a cheap hobby. As the old saying goes, BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

If you want things done right, use the correct products. Just my 2 cents. Sometimes there are other options for boating on a budget, but in this case use the Seafoam, or a similar product direct from the dealers as I mentioned.

kfa4303

Banned

yes I can get but it's ?18.50 +pp ($29+pp) rip off,,,,,I liked the sound of WD-40 anyone eles used this ??

$30! Crikey! I know WD-40 isn't ideal, but it can help all the same and it will loosen bolts. I've seen it. There has to be an equivalent product in the UK, however. Hmmmm.....These may help.

Homebrew Sea Foam (SeaFoam) Motor Treatment Recipe (crazy DIY formula)

Another DIY formula:
25% Cleaner>Naptha
60% Stabilizer>Kerosine
15% Oxygenate> Isopropyl Alcohol (common Rubbing Alcohol)

Sea Foam in the UK - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Forte Lubricants - Engine Treatments (apparently folks in the UK use this as an equivalent)
Where to Buy | Sea Foam Sales Company

Of course, the brand doesn't matter much, just the ratio of ingredients on the back. Just good old organic chemistry 101 (like dissolves like). As long as the engine treatment has a primarily petroleum base it should work.

Last edited: