1960 18 Hp Evinrude Fastwin Smokey Motor

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got the motor running today. Shifts like a swiss watch, holds a nice idle and starts right up..very proud to get this far with rudimentary skill set. I was dissapointed to see that the motor smokes enough to be annoying. Why does it smoke if I am using 24 to 1 mix of 11 ounces to two gallons of fuel. It smokes more as it idles longer and then when I open throttle it will smoke enough to be an issue. Unfortunately, I cant open the throttle for too long because the prop will sling all the water out of the can and then I wont have enough water for pick up by impeller. One of the fins over the prop is snapped off..I think thats why it tosses the water. I am making a new fin. The motor is super clean otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS! You guys have made this motors new lease on life possible. Too me its like a time machine on my jon boat. Just picked up a 10 hp 57 sportwin today with tank as a fall project ......I am using synthetic pennzoil marine oil.

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1960 18 Hp Evinrude Fastwin Smokey Motor

You're gonna get smoke with a 24:1 oil ratio. They always smoke more in a barrel, get it out on the water and run it wide open and see if it doesn't clean up some.