Evinrude 1984 6Hp Thermostat, for vater cooling.....Do i need it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannemand

Cadet
Hi guy?s, i have an 6 hp Evinrude, and it runs perfectly, however im in doubt if i realy need the thermostate for the water cooling ?20130815_212557.jpg

It runs fine without it, and my idea is that it just cools all the time, and still not overheats.......

Any thoughts........

Brian.

dannemand

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 1984 6Hp Thermostat, for vater cooling.....Do i need it ?

20130815_212101.jpg

"exploded view"

phillnjack2

Ensign

OF COURSE ITS BETTER WITH IT IN.
your not over heating, your over cooling and that is a BAD thing for any engine.

stop trying to be a cheap skate, go get a new one and fit it before you kill the engine.

phill

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the thermostat wasn't needed for proper operation on that mtr the OMC bean counters wouldn't have put it in.

phillnjack2

Ensign

Exactly my thoughts.

dannemand

Cadet

Ok, how can i tell if the one i have works ??

phillnjack2

Ensign

put it in a cup of boiling water and watch what happens.
you should see the gap slowly opening up or a little nozzle type thing move, you have to study it though as it moves slowly.
if it dont do anything then its dead.

they are cheap and not worth even trying to clean them up as will give problems again down the line.

how old is this one ?
could it be original from new ?
best thing is to just put in a nice new one and enjoy for years to come.

sometimes if they are put in descaler they work better, but the price of descaler is over half the price of a new stat !!!!
i just bought one for mine and that was expensive about $15 us money and ?12 in english pounds. ha a
probably your one will be around $10 to $12 us dollars.

these are just a routine service item and nothing special

phill

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i think you instaled this termostat in wrong way.
first termostat in, and spring on the top and cover at he end

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

?26.50 +pp($41) in the uk just ordered one for a 6hp but I agree with above, mine last around 2 years but I am allways in salt water, and I do flush the engine for 15mins in a clean tank every time I go out, still cheap for the fun I have

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
In warm climates many people use a thermostat with the hat cut off (the part that open and closes). Doing this still restricts the water flow to what it would be with the thermostat wide open. Any old stuck thermostat can be re-used by just cleaning it and cutting off the hat. Now, if you totally want to remove a thermostat and go without out it altogether (in a warm climate!) that is not the best idea. Besides why would you want to do it, the correct method I described cost nothing.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
By the way, I just had to take apart the head on my just bought 1993 25hp Johnson because it was overheating upon my first test in the tank. I test them with a digital infrared thermometer. The engine temperature kept going up and up till I shut it off at 178 degrees. I opened up the head (not an easy quick job if it was used in saltwater as the bolts all lock up and breakoff!) and found it all clogged up. Moreover, the thermostat was locked up and totally clogged, not a drop of water was going out the exhaust everything was just recirculating, hence the temperature kept going up and up.

Anyhow, to get to the point, I discovered that to get to the thermostat and this engine, you have to remove the entire cylinder head cover plate, that's 14 bolts by itself, let alone that you have to remove the coils, power pack, spark plugs and wires and then some, just to get to the plate with it's 14 bolts! CRAZY!!!!

No way I'm going to put in a normal thermostat that may lock up tomorrow if it's defective. This is the ideal situation to use the hatless thermostat, which will never fail! I'm not going through this again. Hopefully my flushing the engine with fresh water will give me some years before I have to go back and clean the heads again, maybe 20 years, as I don't think the prior owners ever did it.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Over a year old. Please leave it be. Never mind. The topic will in the archives. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.