78ish Evinrude 85 hp Steering

bska

Cadet
motor is cenetered, turn wheel one direction and turns full distance no problem. from center point to opposite direction steering is hard and steering wheel chatters....would this be the cable? i tried greasing the zerk on the tube fastened to the transom, theres a small leak on the flex cable itself. time to replace? any recommendations on replacememmnt parts, the steering box under the dash looks old and tired aswell. like to replace all with one affordable kit. were can i get close to hamilton, ontario?
thanks

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78ish Evinrude 85 hp Steering

Does the steering work easily in both directions when the engine is NOT running?

If so, while underway, no doubt the engine has a tendency to pull the boat in one direction or the other.... that is, you need to hold onto the steering wheel to keep the boat going straight.

To correct this problem, if this is your problem... adjust the trim tab a little at a time until the pulling neutralizes and the boat holds a true course straight when you let go of the wheel.

bska

Cadet

boats not in the water, driveway testing! removed cable, tube and steering box last night. going to have a look, grease up and re install. just want to get on water once to try it out. any decent replacement kits for this if it is junk?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your steering cable was not made to be greased. The zurks you are greasing are likely the two at the front of the engine which lube the engine's tilt tube, not the cable. With age, the inner cable will start to fray and the broken wire hairs will start to drag on the outer casing-as you've noticed. You just can't lube your way out of this problem. Time for a new cable. Likely the original cable part number is NLA, so you'll need a cable kit. Teleflex makes a nice cable kit. Cable and new helm steering gear. Cables come in various 1' length sizes. This website has a nice selection of those Teleflex units, with competitive pricing.

bska

Cadet

I greased the zurks on the front of the engine, but there is one more where the cable attaches to the steering shaft/tube that bolts to the motor. turns out after removal of all steering components the shaft/tube bolted to the motor has a slight bend in it causing it to bind. repaired and cleaned all parts as best as I could and all works well now. will more than likely change out over the winter. not 100% what that zurk lubes?????

phillnjack2

Ensign

Buy a complete new steering system
they are so cheap and your life and your boat friends lives are depending on it.

most people try to lubricate or clean them etc, they realy are just a very cheap thing considering the safety aspect.
nice set of no feedback and youl never regret it.
most kits nowdays even come with new steering wheel, (cheapo wheel) so you get the lot.

i would imagine about $130 buys a complete system in the states,coz its about ?120 in the uk.

not worth even trying to fix steering stuff, unless its the very expensive hydraulic steering.

be safe, get new steering

phill