1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP Idle mixture screw for high speed issues.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMG_20130813_204540.jpg:facepalm:I am almost done with mechanical restoration of my 1960 Evinrude fastwin motor. Well, IJust have to set up carb and was reading in the manual that the high speed screw, which is attached to a linkage, should be disconnected from the linkage, then lightly seated, then backed out 3/4 turn, and then you are supposed to put the mixture adjustment knob back on the adjusment shaft, making sure the knob is pointed to the 3 position, and then, finally, re-connect the linkage between the adjustment knob and the actual high speed needle. Here is were I am dumb founded: The mixture screws adjustment knob, has a limited Range of motion. For the adjusment knob the faceplate is marked 1 to 5. With the prescribed aformentioned set-up of the high speed screwand adjustment knob, my range of linkage motion is from 3 to 5. ---from 3 to 1--which also says lean under it--is not possible because the linkage ends its travel. Tried nine ways to sunday to get linkage to allow knog to go from 3 to 1 marks on faceplate when turning it --cant make heads or tails of this:mad-new:

Last edited:

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP Idle mixture screw for high speed issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

First,don't worry about the numbers on the knob.Remove the knob set the needle the requisite 3/4 turn out from lightly seated then replace the knob in such a position that the linkage will allow you to turn it the same distance each way.I usually set the knob with the three on top as that's the middle #,no other reason.
Geof69a1

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok will do thanks!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I install the knobs and linkages after I have tuned the motor on the lake. Putting them at 3 simply lets you know if it has been moved. The numbers are irrelevant.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I was going with as a back-up Plan! Nothing like good ol common sense

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Chris!