Johnson 140 fuel pump issue

RonnieD

Cadet
I just rebuilt the fuel pump on a 1977 Johnson 140,and it pumps fine now,BUT,it spits fuel out through a small vent hole on the back plate,right next to the little spring-loaded plastic valve (or piston ) located at the top ,point-shaped section of the pump housing. Now,this area that is leaking is BEHIND the diaphram,which is NEW, so I cannot see how any fuel is even getting into that area at all,but it is,and I'm baffled! I looked at an older Johnson fuel pump housing,and it doesn't even have that vent hole in it,so now my Question is,Can I just plug that vent hole and forget about it,or is there something I'm missing here? PLEASE HELP !:confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 140 fuel pump issue

Fuel accessing that small vent hole which allows the diaphragm to flex back and forth could only be caused by a damaged diaphragm. Fuel would need to pass thru the diaphragm to access that hole.

RonnieD

Cadet

Well,That's what I was afraid of...Wonder if iboats would warranty that kit I just bought here?

RonnieD

Cadet

Well,MY Bad!...I had the gasket on the wrong side of the diaphram...the diaphram goes next to the back plate,then the gasket on top of the diaphram ... No leaks now!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't feel bad. Made the same mistake yrs ago. It was an HUA day.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Well,MY Bad!...I had the gasket on the wrong side of the diaphram...the diaphram goes next to the back plate,then the gasket on top of the diaphram ... No leaks now!

Oh you dummy, that's never happened to me. Why, I can't remember if I've ever made a misteak. :)

Seriously, that's a common goof but we knew you would find, correct it, and be off fishing and skiing within the hour.