Need some more help with 55hp water pump kit please

Fletch_n

Seaman Apprentice
G'Day all

Okay I have what I am told a 92ish 55 HP commercial outboard that was sourced from the Australian Army, no model numbers were left on it so its all from photo identification.

I pulled the lower unit off to replace the water pump and that looks to be from a 97 or newer lower leg according to the part numbers on the pump cover.

Now the issue I have is that due to the kit i bought for it (5000308) coming with a 6 blade impeller (the old was a 3 blade) they say I need to replace the thermostat housing and spring as it will run to cool at idle.

This is where I run into my issue and that is the thermostat housing and spring they specify pt nos 343977 and 343141 are nothing like my set up and I cant seem for the life of me how it is supposed to fit?

I will attach a photo of my outboard plus the water pump housing - which is part number 438545 next to the kit cover that a 92 should have.

What alternatives do i have for the thermostat cover and spring change over? or is it though luck its going to run cold at idle?

Any Help appreciated
Cheers
Fletch

Attachments

• boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • impeller 1.jpg
    impeller 1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: Need some more help with 55hp water pump kit please

ok you can find out what it by the number on the silver disc on top of your engine (unless its been removed)
i have posted a pic of where the disc is and arrowed it for ya.
if there are numbers or letters on it, then this will let you know a lot more about it and exactly what you have.

Hope this helps ya bit

phill.

Attachments

• ex army 55hp  1992.jpg
    ex army 55hp 1992.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why not buy the right kit? sierra 18-3394 or 18-3454

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Man that is the only 3 blade impeller I have seen aside from one that I ordered on accident way back when. One of my favorite members on this forum (boobie) schooled me on these things one day. He said that there were a lot of overheat issues with the 3 finned impeller in the states, and to use the 6 fin, for sure. (at least for me, in the states) The 3 fins were used in waters that are very cold, so they do not pump as much water pressure as the 6 fin, thus letting the engine run warmer, allowing it to reach its proper temp in frigid waters.

SEE PEOPLE!!! This is the perfect example of why we ALWAYS do water pump services on motors whenever we encounter them from a previous owner!!

Fletch_n

Seaman Apprentice

Why not buy the right kit? sierra 18-3394 or 18-3454
Could only get the brp kit in Australia and the kit comes with the 6 blade impeller etc.
Cheers

Fletch_n

Seaman Apprentice

Man that is the only 3 blade impeller I have seen aside from one that I ordered on accident way back when. One of my favorite members on this forum (boobie) schooled me on these things one day. He said that there were a lot of overheat issues with the 3 finned impeller in the states, and to use the 6 fin, for sure. (at least for me, in the states) The 3 fins were used in waters that are very cold, so they do not pump as much water pressure as the 6 fin, thus letting the engine run warmer, allowing it to reach its proper temp in frigid waters.

SEE PEOPLE!!! This is the perfect example of why we ALWAYS do water pump services on motors whenever we encounter them from a previous owner!!
Thanks for your reply, waters are not to cold down here in Western Aus so ill see how it goes once its all back in.
Cheers

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Brp # 438592

Fletch_n

Seaman Apprentice

Brp # 438592
Thanks, only problem is I have the large gear case, which as I understand this kit won't fit as typically they have small gear cases?
Could be wrong? All I know for sure is the old pump housing that came off was pt no 438545.
Arghhhhh, I don't know any more!

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

going by the picture you posted......438592 is the brp equiv or get the sierra 18-3394 or 18-3454 from i-boats