Remove Lower Unit off a 1987 20hp Evinrude

green head

Seaman Apprentice
My outboard isn't circulating enough water I am guessing the impeller or whole water pump needs replacing. But I can't get the lower unit off. I found 4 bolts and one nut to remove. I think it is hung up on the shift rod because I can't find the disconnect. I took off the plastic intake screens and found a odd nut like thing that only spins with no signs of being threaded. Any info on how to disconnect the shift rod and the best way to reconnect it would be very helpful. Thanks.

IMG_0172.jpg
pic with bolts and nut removed. Hanging on the shift rod. Don't think there is a screw to disconnect in the gap because there isn't enough room.

IMG_0171.jpg
pic of nut like thing behind plastic intake screens that only spins.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Remove Lower Unit off a 1987 20hp Evinrude

Ok you almost gotter, If you look close at the nut behind the plastic intake covers you will see it is 2 nuts. both take 1/2" wrenches so hold the bottom tall nut, & turn the top nut. Its slow going as you will only be able to turn the nuts 1 flat at a grab of the wrench. Under the nuts when you get them apart there is a little plastic compression cone, this needs to come off so the upper nut can slide off. the cone has a slit on one side to pry it open to slide it off. work in a clean area as the little cone often goes flying! I have a couple of old cheapy 1/2" wrenches that I ground down on my grinder just for this task, as it is a tight squeeze.

green head

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! I got it all apart and all together again and the water is flowing. However there is exhaust coming out where the lower unit connects with the rest of the motor. There is no gasket on it now. Is there suppose to be? Or should I just put on some gasket sealant compound between the parts?

jasper60103

Commander

Thanks! I got it all apart and all together again and the water is flowing. However there is exhaust coming out where the lower unit connects with the rest of the motor. There is no gasket on it now. Is there suppose to be? Or should I just put on some gasket sealant compound between the parts?

No gasket there. Some water spray is normal. Be sure to test your new water pump with the motor in a barrel of water, not on muffs.

green head

Seaman Apprentice

I tested it in the lake and that is where I saw air bubbles coming from between the two parts. I should just let that be? Is there any problems this could cause?

jasper60103

Commander

I tested it in the lake and that is where I saw air bubbles coming from between the two parts. I should just let that be? Is there any problems this could cause?

Assuming you have good water flow I would say its OK. Maintaining proper cooling is very important. If you overheat that head, the motor is toast. Here's a video of mine for reference...