1968 Johnson Old Style RC Cables and fittings

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
A little help from someone familiar with these remote control cables. My Box and cables are from a 1968 boat and I want to connect them to a 1986 motor. I have already attached the throttle cable and will be able to attach the shift cable no problem but I have one issue I'm wondering about.

RC cable 1.jpg
The above photo shows a funny little spring/pin thing on the end of the cable connector. I can't figure out how to get it off without wrecking it so I can attach the connector to the lug on the shift lever as shown below. I don't want to wreck it if I don't have to cause sure enough I'll probably want it someday.

RC cable 2.jpg

Ok, I know your going to say, " just drive out that little pin that goes thru it crossways" But I've tried hammering it out and all I'm doing is blunting the end of the pin.

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1968 Johnson Old Style RC Cables and fittings

You can try to knock out the pin holding the spring loaded twist lock on.
That is not the proper end for your application, but you might make it work.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

That's what I tried but the pin did not move, only blunted the end of the pin. Can this pin be driven out either way or is there a right and wrong direction?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If it woun't move just grind it flush and leave it in.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Torch heat, lube, vise grips to twist and repeat.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That pin WILL come out, I have removed lots of them. But it might not be so easy to do with the cable guide attached to the cable. If the guide were removed from the cable (two screws) you can open a vise jaws just enough to get the little pin between them and lay the big pin across the top of the jaws. Then tap it out with a hammer. Note: One end may be larger than the other end--tap on the smaller end.

That little pin is what is called a "groove pin". Grooves along the side bite into the sides of the hole it is in. Don't try twisting it, or you will break it off for sure.

I actually have not done this, but just wondering---If a guy were to remove the stud from the shifter lever it might be possible that the lever has a 1/4 turn hole in it for the spring pin (???)

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. Got it out.

I soaked it all day in carb cleaner/ penetrating oil, then tapped the groove pin until flush with the side of the big pin, thence grabbing it with vice grips and pulled and twisted (whoops) until it came out. Now that I have it out and usable I'm sure to never need it.

Thanks all.