1989 Evinrude 90HP V4, Turn key and nothing happens

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all, launched the boat today just to do some trailer work. Installed some LED lights and all was well until I tried to crank the ole boat up after. After a few dragging turns of the starter, I figured either the battery was dead or the battery terminal was acting up. So I played with the battery terminals, the negative side was hot. Still no luck getting her started. Brought it back to the house, cleaned the battery terminals and installed a new one on the positive side. Cranked her over and the starter spun like normal. Then, I saw a little spark off the terminal and that was it. No more trim, no buzz from the overheat sensor, no turn of the starter, no electric choke.... NOTHING! I checked the 20 amp Buss Fuse and even swapped it, still nothing.

Would a starter solenoid going out cause me to have NOTHING? I have battery voltage at the starter lug and solenoid lugs. I'm not too good at chasing electrical problems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to throw unnecessary parts at the problem. THANKS:D

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 90HP V4, Turn key and nothing happens

Seeing the area you're in you could have some corrosion in the battery cables. Bend them once and see if they feel hard and not flexible.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Battery load test OK?
The solenoid doesn't click when you turn the key to start?
Check the voltage at the battery side of the starter solenoid when you try and start it, do you loose voltage when you turn the key to start?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible the key switch is fried. Disconnect the control box harness at the red plug inside the cowling. Jump the starter with a good battery and a set of automotive jumper cables. If the starter turns over, see if you have spark at the plugs. If you do, the problem is in the control box/wiring harness.

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just got back from outside fooling with the motor. You guys are quick here! I recharged the battery (not that it really needed it) and when I was hooking back up the terminals I discovered the terminal I installed which I thought looked good, turned out to be the problem. Installed a new positive terminal for the second time and ALL IS GOOD. What a relief! Thankyou all for the help again, I truly appreciate it