1960 Evinrude Lark 2 wont stay running

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice
I recently changed seals and impellers in the engine, along with gear oil. Reassembled it all and looked and felt fine. Started right up and ran for about 30 seconds fine, then started to sputter and stalled. I tried again, now it only ran for 5 seconds, and finally, it is having alot of trouble starting at all. Could this be related to the fuel? I checked the oil to make sure no water was getting inside the engine and there was not any.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1960 Evinrude Lark 2 wont stay running

You can try squirting some fuel mixture into the carb with a spray bottle, if it starts and runs, you have a fuel delivery problem.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi brendand. Welcome to iboats. These old girls really only need 3 things to run; compression, fuel and spark. The fact that she started and ran for a few minutes means the compression is probably ok, which only leaves fuel and spark. If you can squeeze the primer bulg and it will get and stay firm that's a good sign and means the fuel pump is probably ok. You'll next want to clean/rebuild the carburetor. It's an easy DIY job. You can get a rebuild kit right here at iboats for about $20. Once the carb is cleaned all that remains is spark. You should be able to get a nice bright, blue spark capable of jumping a 1/4" gap. You'll also want to use Champion J6C spark plugs. Here are some handy links that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. Be sure you only ever run the motor in a test tank with water filled up to about 1"-2" from the main exhaust port on the back of the motor.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1
3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967 (great ignition rebuild link)
5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson 1954-1954 Carburetor Tune-Up Procedure (great carb rebuild link)
1960 Evinrude 35521 40 hp Outboard Motor Parts

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice, I'm pretty experienced with glass and resins, not so much with motors. this is my first boat and first big restoration project.

I noticed how you said the bulge should be firm. On mine I can feel pressure build up but it feels like I can always pump more fuel in, is this normal?

kfa4303

Banned

Woops, sorry for the typo. I mean "bulb", but yes the primer bulb should get nice and hard after you squeeze it a few times prior to start up. If it does not, that's usually a sign that the fuel pump is bad, but as long as it gets and stays firm you're good to go. Glad we have another glass pro in the house. I'm a tin boat guy, but I want to buy a glasser one day and do a few simple mods to it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

More likely that there is an issue with the needle/seat or float. Either way, time to open that carb up.

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for the advice, I am going to crack the carb open this morning and see whats going on. I also noticed oil leaking from the around the prop shaft, some grease should fix this right? I am unable to open the gearbox as the screws are not budging.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Brendan. The oil coming out around the propshaft is not a good sign and probably means the propshaft oil seal is bad. Aside from it being 50+ years old, fishing line often gets caught in there and can cut the rubber in the seal itself, causing it to leak. Not to worry, you can replace the oil seals yourself for about $25, but lets try to get her running first. In the meantime, you can simply fill the gear case with some fresh 80-90w hydoid outboard gear oil so you don't hurt the gears while testing the motor. You can get a quart from wal-mart for about $5.

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

Well, this engine is turning out to be a disaster. Stripped threads in the block for the lower spark plug. Once i took them out to clean and check them out I broke free of whatever the previous owner rigged it with and now I have poor compression, so much to the point where the plug wiggled out.

What are my options at this point?

kfa4303

Banned

yup helicoil is your best bet. I actually had to add one to my '66 20hp recently and it wasn't bad at all. There are many brands, but here's a pic of the one I used called Sav-A-Thread. I picked it up at the local auto store for about $10 and it it actually worked! The kit will come with everything you need except some high temp gasket sealant and/or red loctite. There are lots of how-to vids in youtube if you need them .

HEL-5334-14__26780.1371742345.1280.1280.jpg

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

well the bad news keeps getting worse. I was confused when i saw the plugs were different sizes, then it occured to me: the bigger plug had already been "repaired" and the plug pulled out the insert with it. Huge headache. I was thinking of just trying to secure it with some high temp epoxy like jb weld, because my only other option is to take the head off and have a piece machined to fit, or replacing the head.

Thoughts?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The head is common enough. Forget the helicoil, just swap the head altogether. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize.

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

I made an aluminum bracket to hold the plug in tight. Started right up. Took her to the lake to try her out and the oat would not get up to plane, let alone over 5mph. I wish the guy I bought it from was an honest salesman when I was told it ran strong, but I guess there arent many of those.

kfa4303

Banned

The head is common enough. Forget the helicoil, just swap the head altogether. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize.

+1. At this point it's probable cheaper and easier to get a new head. You should be able to find them on ebay and or aomci.org for about $30. I know it can be frustrating, but these are great old motors and even if you have to put a couple hundred bucks into it you'll end up with a very strong, light weight motor for way less than what a comparable new(er) motor would be.

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

Im at a standstill with this thing haha.

So any ideas on why its not getting up to speed? could it be just firing on one cylinder? Its hard to tell with the sound, it sounds ok...

kfa4303

Banned

Well these old girls can run surprisingly well on one cylinder which is nice if you get stuck on the water, but you don't want to leave it that way. Unless you re-tapped the stripped spark plug socket, the motor is almost surely only firing on one cylinder. Here are some vids of motors similar to yours on the water. If your motor isn't performing similarly something is not right.

Evinrude Outboard 1960 40HP Lark II - YouTube
1960 Evinrude Lark II 40HP on Lake Santeetlah, Surrounding Area - YouTube
1971 Evinrude Ski Twin 40hp - YouTube

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

Figured out my problem. The connection to one of the coils had popped off. I cut the wire down, and screwed it back on and got spark in both plugs. Put everything back together, and it started first pull sounding ALOT better, then stalled. It stalled, I believe, due to the poor seal of the plug that I mentioned had stripped. So now that I still havent spent any money, and am right around the corner to having a running engine I think, I may go ahead and search for a head to order. I didnt find any on that site, do you have any other recommendations?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Just place a wanted ad. If you get stuck PM me.