1960 Evinrude 18 fastwin shifting issues

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1960 18 Evinrude Fastwin. My girl and I went out on a 14 jon boat for a maiden run two years ago and limped back with her performing primer bulb cpr and me honing my new skill as a navigator in the only gear available--reverse. I pulled it out of storage a few days ago and replaced the fuel pump, the fuel line connector and fuel filter. Inspected the water impeller--on to the linkage: I drained the oil and tried to adjust the linkage for shifting and test it by cycling through forward neutral and reverse. I cant get consistent results at the prop. sometimes it is hung up in forward or reverse when i cycle back to neutral and sometimes i hear a slight slap in neutral like the linkage rod fell a little and it is grazing a gear. Eventually, my frustration led to me stripping the brass linkage connector you see in the sight window. I have the small linkage connector. There is a larger one offered for seventy bucks==not sure it will work. Is this my problem? Sometimes there is binding going from forward to neutral as well. I love the design of this motor--it is like a work of art. The shift linkage seems lacking though in concept and design. The shift lever shaft is not splined and they use a screw to lock it in place--thats a design flaw I can live with---

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1960 Evinrude 18 fastwin shifting issues

the binding is from neutral to forward--sorry

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

To shift that lower unit without the engine running you will have to rotate the prop by hand to allow the shift dog in the lower unit to align with the gears. Just keep rotating the prop and see if it will lock into both gears.
The screws in the shift linkage connector go through notches in the upper and lower shift rods, when the screws are in the slots and the screws are tightened the linkage is locked togeather and cannot slip. Do you have the screws in the slots on both sides of the connector?
I have in the past used a heli-coil to replace the threads in the coupler when someone stripped them.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok the bottom one was in the slot becuse I had to pry it off when the thing got stripped-- the top has not been in the slot i am sure. This is making sense now. get the new linkage piece in the slot on the lower rod, install lower end, make sure top bar is in slot, loosen **** lever and have it line up with neutral when the motor is in neutral, tighten it all up.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Before you loosen the shift lever, just make sure both screws are in the proper slot and see how it lines up.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i am buying the part next week and will report back--shops closed today. Cant wait to use the motor its really nice.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Hope it works out for you.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks the gears are working now . Final test in tank soon.