1999 Evinrude 9.9 4 stroke

Tall Chief

Cadet
I have a 99 9.9 four stroke the has never skipped a beat till this year. The first time I started it, this year it started very hard 30- 50 pulls on the rope. After it started it ran fine for 25-30 minutes then it died and wouldn't start for 10-15 minutes. It seemed like it was an overheating issue because after it cooled down it started again. Since then I tried putting a new thermostat in and the same results. Could I have a bad power pack or coil? I thought I would ask here before I put more money into it and have the same results that I have been getting.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Evinrude 9.9 4 stroke

Did you check your spark on it when it quit ?? It should jump a 3/8 " open air gap on a spark tester.

Tall Chief

Cadet

It ran for 20-25 minutes again and quit. I put the spark tester on it and no spark. I tried the tester when I first started it and the spark wasn't real bright and it wasn't a steady flash.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you want to do this repair yourself, go to cdielectronics.com. They have good trouble shooting procedures but you will need some electrical meters to do this.

Tall Chief

Cadet

From the tests that I could do with the multi tester that I have I think it is the ignition module but I am not sure. I will take it to a mechanic to find out for sure.

Thanks for your help.

Tall Chief

Cadet

Took it to a mechanic and he had troubles with it acting up. So he started tapping on the ignition module and it would do what I was describing all of the time. Replaced the module and now all is fine. He did think that it ran a little on the warm side so he replaced the impeller and tried it and still on the warm side. he took out the thermostat and noticed quite a bit of scale in the thermostat housing and he is thinking there might be some blockage inside the motor. The temp is fine without the thermostat in it. Now the question that I have is can I run it without the thermostat without hurting anything? How do I get rid of the scale?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Without the thermostat the mtr could run to cold and start making oil.