'69 Evinrude 85 HP Trouble Starting

jfmil355

Cadet
Hi All,
I have a '69 Evinrude 85 HP and im having problems getting it started. It will try to fire but just wont start and run completly. I have fresh fuel, new spark plugs, new ignition coil. In the past the engine would always start and run with a little TLC, but now I just can get it to go. Any ideas? I heard something about a "hot start" feature. Im not sure if this engine has this. I know there is a linkage from the throttle that adjusts the timing. Anyone have more info on this?
Thanks for you helP!!!!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '69 Evinrude 85 HP Trouble Starting

Have you checked the spark with an air gap tester, does it jump a 7/16" air gap and is it bright blue?
Have you checked the compression, what kind of numbers did you get?
How long since the carbs have been serviced.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The original spec for the spark air gap was 3/8 ". And on that mtr that was pushing it.

jfmil355

Cadet

Just checked for spark none!! I installed a new coil. In the past the motor would loose spark ocasionally. Now no spark at all. Any ideas?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Go to the CDI website and use their troubleshooting guide to help you find your problem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ahhhhh older V-4.......... Pull the flywheel...... clean and check (maybe replace) the points and condensers.

It is common to get an oil film on the points over the years and they demand attention on occasion. ;)

Added in - not sure the cdi troubleshooting will help much with points but, you can look.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That mtr didn't have condensers. The points acted as a trigger for the amplifier and were set new at .012 ". I hope you can clean them up if needed as new points go for $65.00 per set.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Set used points at .010".

You will find a silver wire ring in there, clipped around the crankshaft. That part is there to prevent the motor from running backwards (yes it can). It requires periodic service, cleaning and re-lubricating VERY sparingly with a bit of EP grease. Failure to do so results in wearout of the ring and depositing of metal dust all over the points and distributor.

As said don't expect a big fat spark from that system. It just can't do it. And don't expect it to run well with the original surface gap spark plugs. Use L77JC4 or QL77JC4, gapped at .030"