evinrude sportwin 9.5 (1964) hard to start after stalling

sloopjohnb

Cadet
Occasionally my outboard will stall at low idle. when it does it is very difficult to start. Other than that, the motor runs great. Once it starts I can stop and start it with no problems.

I have rebuilt the carb, the plugs look good, have new gas.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: evinrude sportwin 9.5 (1964) hard to start after stalling

Does it loose spark when it stalls, Have you checked the low speed needle adjustment? What do you have to do to get it started?

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does it loose spark when it stalls, Have you checked the low speed needle adjustment? What do you have to do to get it started?

suspect flooding?

sloopjohnb

Cadet

i've played with the needle adjusment... does not seem to make any difference.

letting it sit for a while (1/2 hour plus seems to help). also starting it wot seems to help some times (don't like doing this because it has to be in gear... keep thinking of the old cartoons where the guy falls out of the boat doing this).

sloopjohnb

Cadet

whats the best way to handle flooding?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If the low speed needle does not affect the idle, you still have a carb problem, when you cleaned the carb, did you remove the core plug on top of the carb and clean the passages in there? Flooding could be caused by the float not set to the proper level, did you check it when you had the carb apart?

sloopjohnb

Cadet

If the low speed needle does not affect the idle, you still have a carb problem, when you cleaned the carb, did you remove the core plug on top of the carb and clean the passages in there? Flooding could be caused by the float not set to the proper level, did you check it when you had the carb apart?

sorry, let me rephrase that, ican adjust the low speed needle according to the service manual, but this does no seem to make any difference to the starting after stalling.

djboat100

Cadet

When your motor floods note where your high and low speed needles are set and then turn them in until the are gently seated, with the choke in/off pull the.cird until it starts and dies, then turn the knobs to their previous position and restart. If you're flooding at low speed try turning ypur low speed knob in some to lean out the mix. Also a carb rebuild once a year is always a good idea.