Primer Bulb Orientation

s.wxman

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all
Does it matter how the primer bulb is mounted i.e vertically vs horizontally?? I know the fuel flow needs to follow the arrow, but since I don't know for sure how the check valve/ball works I wondered if it mattered whether the bulb was vertical or horizontal. I have always been in the habit of 'pointing the arrow' up when I pump the bulb, don't know why.

Curious if there is a preferred orientation to help keep the system primed or not.

Thanks
Wxman

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Primer Bulb Orientation

Hello all
Does it matter how the primer bulb is mounted i.e vertically vs horizontally?? I know the fuel flow needs to follow the arrow, but since I don't know for sure how the check valve/ball works I wondered if it mattered whether the bulb was vertical or horizontal. I have always been in the habit of 'pointing the arrow' up when I pump the bulb, don't know why.

Curious if there is a preferred orientation to help keep the system primed or not.

Thanks
Wxman

No it does not matter. The bulb merely primes the line at initial start. The fuel pump takes over after that.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

It doesn't matter. Once the motor is running the primer bulb just becomes part of the hose and fuel is being sucked thru it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

With an OMC primer bulb in a vertical position with the arrow towards the mtr it will prime better. The check balls in it seat better.

Last edited:

s.wxman

Seaman Apprentice

That's what I have. Guess I should stop twisting it to vertical when I pump it up.

Thanks all

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last two primer bulbs would not pump up "hard" unless arrow was pointed up otherwise they stayed soft .These were purchased at Academy .

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My aftermarket bulbs won't work worth a hoot unless pointed up. Gravity influencing the check valves, y'know.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The two check valves work via gravity... best to hold it vertically when priming. After priming, it doesn't matter how it is positioned.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

:eek::facepalm: lol

Actually the valves normally function via air pressure within the bulb, but taking into consideration that the valves are not spring loaded, gravity is a factor that adds to the proper function of the primer bulb's operation. That being said, holding the primer bulb in a vertical position with the arrow pointed up, the primer bulb functions at it best.

I really didn't think it would be necessary to dwell into the why fores of my reply but obviously to some it is.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I meant to say vertical in post # 4.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's 'cause I edited it after reading it again.

kfa4303

Banned

With an OMC primer bulb in a vertical position with the arrow towards the mtr it will prime better. The check balls in it seat better.

+1. You want the arrow on the bulb pointing towards the motor. Putting it in a vertical orientation is a nice touch and will help the check valves close more completely. Sometimes the arrow itself can be hard to see, but it should be on there somewhere.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the arrow isn't pointing toward the motor, the bulb is backwards and sucking out of the motor when priming. If the motor starts, it won't be running long unless the balls are bad. You only have to see the arrow once, when installing it.

s.wxman

Seaman Apprentice

No problem on the arrow. That was a given. My bulb does and always has laid flat (horizontal). That is how it was new and how the latest one installed by dealer is positioned. I have always been in the habit of 'twisting' it so the arrow pointed up when I was squeezing it to prime the system. So far so good. The real question is would there be any gain in having the bulb mounted so it was permanently in the vertical, arrow pointing up, position? Would a vertical mounting help the pump and lines to hold their prime longer in between starts, like when fishing for a couple hours, then moving, then fishing again, etc? Or, do the check valves not function when the bulb isn't being squeezed anyway?

I am not having any particular problems with the prime really. I am just replacing some fuel lines, primer bulb, installing a fuel/water separator...., and thought it could be a good time to reposition the bulb if it there was a better way to do it.

Thanks all.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again S. You don't have to orient the bulb vertically. If it's working fine, you're ok. The only reason folks like to put them in vertically is so the check valves within can close a bit more completely, but its not biggie. As long as the arrow isn't pointing down, or away from the motor you'll be fine.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only advantage that I can see is if the bulb is oriented as close to vertical as space allows the fuel within the bulb will drain out much slower. I use my boat at least once a week and the bulb is usually quite full and will come to hard with just a few pumps. If it goes much more than a week it is pretty much drained and it might just as well have been placed horizontally.

Last edited: