1978 evinrude 115 power not getting to remote control box

Basszebra

Cadet
I recently bought a 1978 evinrude 115, it hasn't been started in a few years, and didn't come with the ignition key so I carefully took the barrel out of the black plastic cover with a hacksaw but it didn't have a key number on it so I disassembled it all and took to a locksmith to get a couple of keys made. I think I put it all back together ok but when you turn the key it doesn't spring back. I connected all the wires back to the right places and wired up the safety switch because it had been disconnected when I got it. I put the battery cables on and turned the key and absolutey nothing happened, i ran some jump leads to the starter motor and it turned over so i got the multimeter out i had power going to the starter but not to the remote control box, overall the electrics look in good condition nothings corroded and the engine itself looks quite clean, i just cant figure out why powers not getting to the ignition or how to go about fault finding, im thinking its just something simple im overlooking and hopefully i wont have to pay for a marine electrician to sort it out.

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1978 evinrude 115 power not getting to remote control box

Check the 20amp fuse under the cowling.

Basszebra

Cadet

thanks for the reply i have tried to find that, i've got a 73' evinrude 115 as well which i could find the fuse on but the 78' seems different i followed the red wire from the starter solenoid but no fuse to be seen, does it have to have a fuse to operate or would it just not have one. electrical issues aren't my strong point.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

That small red wire is where the fuse normally is. It goes into the harness then to the ignition switch to operate the starter solenoid and accessories. If you also had a rope to start it the motor would run without it.

Basszebra

Cadet

ok thanks. i'll have another look for it or at least evidence of its existence, and if its not there i guess i'll got to the boat shop and hopefully buy a new fuse cable and connect it up, then with this problem fixed its compression tests then try to get it fired up. fingers crossed.

Basszebra

Cadet

if i did get it started with a rope would turning the key switch the engine off still.

Basszebra

Cadet

I found the fuse holder and it was blown so I took the fuse out of the other engine and put it in then turned the key and nothing happened so I checked the fuse again and it had blown so I have an issue somewhere but where is the question, I'll put a new starter solenoid on and see if that fixes it and I'll get a new key ignition barrel. Anyone have any other ideas what could be blowing the fuse. The good news is I have 115 psi compression readings on all cylinders.

Basszebra

Cadet

I'm also not getting any spark from any of the cylinders