Sealer for Heads on '96 Johnson 175 Fst Strike

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't get the OMC sealer locally for the heads that use O-rings on my '96 175 Johnson motor. Is there any difference in RTV silicon and Permatex #3? I've heard not to use silicon on heads but this is to seal the water passages the best I can tell. Ant tips on applying it because I've never had much luck with silicon on metal to metal cases?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sealer for Heads on '96 Johnson 175 Fst Strike

Permetex #3 is the aviation gasket sealer, right? That is not suitable for your purpose. Hurricane Sandy took my service manual, but if I remember correctly, you need a bead of silicone around each water passage. Since you need to retorque the heads anyway, and need the sequence and value, why not buy a service manual?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As Chris said, silicone. You put marine grease on the O-rings. No Permatex # 3.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I'm going to put it together tomorrow so I'll get some fresh high temp silicone. Just couldn't find the OMC sealer. I've got a Clymer manual that has the torque specs and sequence that I'll follow. I think I'll bring each piston up to TDC and lightly scrub the carbon deposits off using some sea-foam and a soft brush. Any thoughts or objections?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go for it..........