1995 150hp evinrude ocean runner won't shut off

mannix2

Cadet
Having problems shutting off my 150 evinrude 1995. Turn switch off, stays running. It shuts off fine when it's cold, once it warms up the engine won't turn off the other the switch it the safety lanyard. I pulled the ground and black and yellow wires from the switch and connected them together and it still wouldn't shut down. I pulled the hood and traced the black and yellow wires, and disconnected and reconnected the plugs, still wouldn't shut down. Finally I pulled three spark plug wires off to shut it down. Where does the ground wire that grounds the power pack to shut it down connect to the block. My buddy thinks it's a bad power pack, but it starts and runs fine, just won't shut down when it's hot. Any help greatly appreciated.Thanks

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 150hp evinrude ocean runner won't shut off

The black and yellow wires are connected to ground through the ignition switch M terminals when it is in the off position. Turn the battery switch off. Disconnect the plugs for the B/Y wires where they connect to the power pack. Connect one lead from an Ohm meter to the engine harness B/Y wire and the other lead to ground on the block. When the switch is ON the meter should read an open circuit. ( very high resistance). When it is OFF the B/Y wire should be shorted to ground (very low resistance). If not you have an open in the kill circuit. I doubt the power pack is the cause of your problem. I think it may be a poor connection somewhere in the wiring harness. When it heats up the connector expands and makes a bad connection. Do the test when the engine is cold and then when it's hot to see if the readings change.
If you ground the B/ Y wires going to the power pack the engine should shut off.

mannix2

Cadet

The black and yellow wires are connected to ground through the ignition switch M terminals when it is in the off position. Turn the battery switch off. Disconnect the plugs for the B/Y wires where they connect to the power pack. Connect one lead from an Ohm meter to the engine harness B/Y wire and the other lead to ground on the block. When the switch is ON the meter should read an open circuit. ( very high resistance). When it is OFF the B/Y wire should be shorted to ground (very low resistance). If not you have an open in the kill circuit. I doubt the power pack is the cause of your problem. I think it may be a poor connection somewhere in the wiring harness. When it heats up the connector expands and makes a bad connection. Do the test when the engine is cold and then when it's hot to see if the readings change.
If you ground the B/ Y wires going to the power pack the engine should shut off.

Thanks for the reply. I discovered that there are 2 black and yellow wires. Both go through the shift switch. One kills the spark to the 2 4 6 cylinders while shifting into gear to lower the rpm for a smoother start the other is the ground for the power pack to shut off. I connected a ground lead directly from block to these wires one at a time. The shift switch wire did kill the spark to the 3 cylinders. The ground wire coming directly from the powerpack did not shut down the engine. Also problem has progressed, doesn't shut off even when it's cold now. I ordered a powerpack and hope my tests results are accurate.Boat is moored and don't have a circuit tester with me.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have the wiring schematic for your year or model, but if you have a shift interrupt switch only one side of the pack is directly connected to the interrupt switch. When you shift in or out of gear it momentarily kills the spark on the starboard side of the engine.

There is a blocking diode in the wiring harness that prevents the port side B/Y wire from being shorted to ground when the interrupt switch is actuated.

In normal operation the the B/Y wires to both sides of the pack are shorted to ground through the ignition switch when it is turned off, or through the lanyard kill switch (lanyard removed) if you boat has one.

The blocking diode could cause the problem you describe. If the diode has failed open one side of the pack will not be shorted to ground when the key is turned off or the lanyard removed.
When you say it keeps running, is it running on three cylinders?

When you say the ground wire coming from the pack did not shut down the engine, what wire are you referring to? There is a Black wire from the pack that is always connected to gnd on the engine block. The two B/Y wires coming from the pack kill the spark when they are connected to ground.

I always thought that the interrupt switch was to lessen wear on the gears when shifting but recently learned that the main purpose is to prevent a situation where you can't shift out of gear when the boat is underway.

Let us know what you find. If it is the power pack it would be the first time I've ever heard of one failing in that way, but anything is possible.

You can find used OEM Evinrude manuals on Ebay for a reasonable price. Well worth the money if you plan on having this engine for a while.

Last edited:

mannix2

Cadet

I tested my ground by disconnecting the black and yellow wires from the pack. I traced the first black and yellow wire to the harness which went up to the switch. I connected a 12 inch lead to it and grounded it time the block. Engine ran on all 6 cylinders whether this wire was directly grounded or not. Found the black and yellow wire that came directly from the shift switch and connected that to my 12 inch ground lead, engine dropped rpm and was only running on 3 cylinders. I did find the ground wire for the powerpack, the black wire, it is grounded by a bolt for the rectifier. It was tight with no corrosion. Everyone I talk to says it is a ground problem and does not think the power pack is the problem. I spoke with CDI, and they believe if I ran a direct ground to the black and yellow wires directly from the power pack the motor should not run and the power pack is defective. I believe my test eliminated the switch and emergency lanyard. On vacation and boat is moored, so will replace powerpack this weekend when I return home. I hope this fixes the problem and will give you my results.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

If you connected both of the B/Y wires coming out of the pack to ground and it did not kill the spark then I would have to agree that the pack is bad.
Like I said anything is possible. It is not a common failure mode, but it can happen.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad shift diode. That pack has 2 kill circuits on it and CDI should have told you that. One is the bly/yel and that one is for shift interrupt and starboard cylinders (pin G on pack) and blk/org which kills port cylinders.(pin B). You can test pack as follows:
Remove both connectors from top of pack. With meter on diode check put + lead on pin C or D of stator connecter side(6 wires) and - lead on pin C of 5 wire connector. You should see a double diode drop of about 1.0~1.2v and nothing in opposite direction. Repeat for port side using + lead on A or F and - lead on B and reading should be close to the same.

mannix2

Cadet

My saga continues....installed the new power pack, fired it up, AND she wont turn off. I tested continuity at the key switch between the ground and m terminals when the switch is in the off position, and it checked ok. I tested the ohms for the two black and yellow wires coming from the shift interrupt switch, one direction I got a reading the other direction, open lead. I thought the black and yellow wires were the only ones responsible for the ground, where does the black and orange wire ground to? I am leaning towards a new shift interrupt switch. Going to crimp new ends on the leads that go to the key switch first, to eliminate the dash altogether. So frustrating to have a motor that runs so well with no way to shut it down. Any other ideas?

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

The shift interrupt switch would not prevent the engine from shutting down when the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. That switch is not inexpensive so to to satisfy yourself that it's working, pop it out of the bracket. With the engine running actuate the switch. You should hear the starboard side cylinders drop out. With the switch disconnected, you can also do an Ohms check to verify it is good.

If the engine continues to run on all 6 cylinders when the ignition switch, you have an open circuit between the power pack and the ignition switch. You need to do an Ohm's check from the Black and Yellow wires in the engine harness to the ignition switch. and from the black wire on the ignition switch to the engine ground. You might want to disconnect the large molded plug that connects the engine harness to the controls and check the condition of the connectors.

You really should invest in an Evinrude manual for your engine. It's much cheaper than throwing parts at it especially if you can find a used one.

mannix2

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, I tested the switch and it does drop out one side of the cylinders. I am confused since there are two black and yellow wires coming from the shift switch, along with a black ground wire. I will start testing continuity on the black ground and black and yellow wires coming from the switch to the engine harness and check the engine harness connection as well. I truly appreciate your advice and have found a used manual on ebay and purchased it. The engine has no effect when the key switch is turned off whatsoever, so I will start tracing wires. Thanks again.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

There are two B/Y wires coming from the shift switch because one goes directly to the switch and the other goes to the blocking diode that prevents the port side cylinders from shutting down when shifting in and out of gear. If you run your fingers down the plastic sleeving that covers the wires you will feel a lump. That is where the diode is. Don't flex the wires in that area or you will crack the diode, and you will have two problems to fix.

Regarding the black and orange wire: Your ignition system is somewhat different than my older engines, so I can't help you with the that part.
The test that Faztbullet asked you to perform would indicate that there is more than one diode in the engine harness. Perhaps the other diode has failed. I don't know where that diode is located in the harness.
Faztbullet has helped me on numerous occasions and is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum when it comes to these Evinrude V6 loopers. If you do the checks he asks you to do, you will find your problem.

Regarding the manual: Be sure you ordered the correct manual for your year. The year on the front cover is the year the manual was published and is usually a year earlier than the model year of the engine. Go by the six digit number on the spine of the manual or the letter code also on the spine. I came up with "EO" 503151 for a 1995 150 HP but do your own research to verify that is correct.

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...-when-purchasing-used-596862.html#post4150599

Last edited:

mannix2

Cadet

I GOT IT!! After another 3 hours of testing, I figured it out. Ran a lead from the ground wire at the key switch to the test light and attached the other end of the light to the battery. Positive light, so I knew the ground was good from the block to the switch. Attached my lead from the black and yellow wire at the key switch and connected it to the multimeter and the other end to the black and yellow from the engine harness. Positive for connection. The last connection in the engine was the amphenol connector from the shift switch to the harness wiring, tested it and got open lead. I stripped a little wire and tested from the connector to my stripped wire, open lead. Pushed the connector in the wire and made the connection. It shut down 6 times after that. It was a broken connector in the amphenol all along. Thank you for all your help and encouragement. I am so relieved to put her back in the lake this weekend before Fall arrives here in the Northeast. Thanks again.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Good to hear that it's fixed, and thanks for posting what you found. Too many people fix the problem and just move on which is no help to others trying to troubleshoot similar problems.