65 hp 1972 evinrude battery charge

Mchamp50

Cadet
does this motor charge the battery when its running. Also it starts quickly the first time but after running for 5 minutes I shut it off and it won't start again. The starter will barely turn it over on the second start. any ideas?
Thanks Mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 65 hp 1972 evinrude battery charge

There is a stator under the flywheel that charges the battery when the engine is runnig.
You might want to check the starter draw when the starter is hot, also make sure all the battery cable connections are really clean and tight.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes it should charge the battery.

I would check
for an AC supply to the rectifier (between the yellow wires)
for DC between the red wire and ground

If no DC output from the rectifier you can check it following the instructions in the engine faqs board (but if you use a digital multimeter use it on the diode test range not an ohms range) or assume its blown and replace it.

BUT

If you have a decent battery and you have properly charged it it should start the motor many times even if the motor is not recharging it.

Mchamp50

Cadet

I'll check the rectifier and all the connections but I suspect it's the battery. Thanks for the info.
Thanks Mike

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the battery in to an auto parts store and have it load tested.

Butter Bean

Seaman

Yes it should charge the battery.

I would check
for an AC supply to the rectifier (between the yellow wires)
for DC between the red wire and ground

If no DC output from the rectifier you can check it following the instructions in the engine faqs board (but if you use a digital multimeter use it on the diode test range not an ohms range) or assume its blown and replace it.

BUT

If you have a decent battery and you have properly charged it it should start the motor many times even if the motor is not recharging it.[/QUOTE

I`m missing something here but on my 65hp all I have is 2 wires coming from motor to battery, and that's the large red/black wires. what is charging the battery? the red wire hooked to the starter?

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Another remote, unlikely possibility. Make sure the engine is not overheating. If it overheats, the pistons can swell in their bores so much that the starter won't turn it over. Have you tested the hot horn in the control box to see if it works? Is the water pump functioning?