starting a 1961 Evinrude Starflite iii

bulitz

Recruit
I recently purchased a 75hp model#50927. It didn't come with a junction box. Is it possible to hookup a solenoid to the starter to see if it starts ,or do i need the regulator too. I think whats on the flywheel is an alternator if that helps, and i did oil the cylinders ,but haven't done a compression test on it yet. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: starting a 1961 Evinrude Starflite iii

I suppose you know that junction box is worth about as much as the whole rest of the motor? Well anyhow, to answer your question:

1. You must ground the motor to a 12V battery (heavy battery cable)
2. You need to turn the ignition on. There is a white/red stripe wire going to the coil. Connect a wire between the battery + terminal and that wire (NOT to the coil, but to the other end of the wire. It is a resistance wire.
3. Now you can jump start by connecting a battery jumper cable between battery + and the starter.
4. To stop the motor, disconnect the wire going to the white/red

bulitz

Recruit
Re: starting a 1961 Evinrude Starflite iii

Thanks for the reply back. I did unfortunately realize after reading a bit in the service manual how valuable that jbox is.. Hopefully the initial $150 investment wont set me back to bad. Even tho these boxes seem scarce. As far as the condition of the motor is concerned. It seems to be in real good shape, and while i was oiling the pistons it looked like there was very little carbon buildup on the crowns. Maybe a good sign of low hours tho one seemed to clean. I don't think it was serviced, but maybe it wasn't firing at the time when it was running back in it's day.

I would like to stay with that period of time since my father ,and i are reconditioning a vintage 63 cruiser inc. 75hp is the max for that boat, but would be a good lake motor if the weight doesn't rip off the transom. Plus that cowl looks pretty sweet.