1978 85HP Evinrude stuck gear shaft

DPManley

Cadet
Hi All - my first post.
I have read a BUNCH of posts and I am still stuck.

I have a 1978 85HP Evinrude. The impeller has not been changed in years. Overall, running well. So I followed the manual to drop the lower unit. It says to shift into reverse and remove the shift lever bolt - done.
All bolts are out - The lower unit drops about 1.5 inches and is stuck.
Moving the lower unit moves the shift lever located under the carbs. I tried holding it in reverse and wiggling the unit - no luck.
Notes: I made sure the gears are in reverse - the prop is engaged. When I dropped it as far as possible, I was able to turn the prop and feel the splines just rubbing the engine so the splines are not seized.
I tried one person holding the shift lever while I moved the unit.
The shift lever is a right angle pin that seems to be directly connected to the shift shaft. I tried to slide the pin but it does not move much side to side.
How do I get that shift pin disconnected?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 85HP Evinrude stuck gear shaft

You only shift into reverse so as to give you a good view of the bolt to remove. There are times when a different position is more favorable.

Exactly what shift bolt did you remove... what does it look like?

The one that requires removing is a long shoulder type bolt that is hard to see, let alone remove, has a 3/8" slotted hex head, and is accessible under the bottom carburetor from the starboard side of the engine.

What manual are you using? Let us know what you find.

DPManley

Cadet

I don't recall what the manual is - I'm at work now and will check.

The shift cable connects to a right angle pin that disappears under the carbs into a housing of some kind. When shifted into reverse, the small bolt that connects the cable to this right angle pin is exposed. I removed the bolt and nut.
I can rotate the right angle pin to the reverse position - the pin is angled toward the rear. When the lower unit drops, the arm of the pin swings to the front.
I also noted that the diagram for the lower unit looks like the shift lever has a flat end with a hole. I think there is a screw that I cannot yet see.
Tonight I will lower the motor and look from the front to see if I can spot the linkage from this right ange pin to the **** rod.
I also tried pulling the pin out to the side - no go.
I will also see if I can post a diagram - I know I saw one in the "secret files" section.

phillnjack2

Ensign

here is what you need to remove.

its on a piece of alluminium behind the bottom carb on left side of engine,not on the cable side at all.
its a wierd little thing.
here is the link ,look at part number 45, this is the thing you have to undo and slide off a touch to let the rod go down.
Johnson Cylinder And Crankcase Parts for 1978 85hp 85ETLR78C Outboard Motor

personaly i would take off the bottom carb being as its your first time,youl be able to see it better when you drop it youl
need to pick it up, and that wont happen with carb on (how do i know !!!!).

if the book you have is a seloc or clymer then dont be suprised by the lack of info and also wrong info.
just like me you need to get the proper omc book for your particular engine.

phill

DPManley

Cadet

I found this diagram (I'm not sure if it will display - I am new)

I removed screw #61. #58 is the angle pin I described. From this, it looks like I need to get to #45 and remove screw #66 as you described. So far I cannot see any of this from the starboard side (other than #58). I tried to see if removing the starter would give me access but it looks like a bit of work and I don't see anything under there to help.

Evin 4 v2.jpg

DPManley

Cadet

Thanks Phil - we typed at the same time and I posted a minute after you with the same diagram.

I will try it. So taking the carb of....I am officially scared and not wanting to do this, but I will.

Thanks again and I will post the result.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The bolt you need to remove from the starboard side is number 115 in the Phillnjack2 reply.

I'd suggest you toss that manual you have and purchase a proper factory manual specifically for that engine. I have no idea why you would remove part # 61 & 62.

ALSO...... DO NOT turn the shift rod out of its present adjustment as the measurement is extremely critical. To turn it up or down even one turn would create shift problems.

Last edited:

DPManley

Cadet

All Hail the Forums!

So I carefully replaced the screw I had removed and verified that the shifter still worked. I then removed the air intake to see better.

The retaining screw pin is very hard to reach and will be harder to put back. I don't see how the shift rod will ever align with the hole.

The lower unit dropped with no problem. I am being careful not to turn the shift rod. I will now replace the impeller and try to re-assemble.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The shift rod will align with the hole by using a screwdriver and long nose pliers under the hood pan.

The shoulder bolt itself is removed and installed in the hole by using a mechanics finger grab tool... a long flexible tool that has four finger like grabbing levers on the end of it that open and close by pressing the other end of the tool.

I use a 1/4" drive extension and a universal (flex) socket to loosen and tighten that screw. Having the proper tools makes the job somewhat easier.

DPManley

Cadet

OK - the shift rod is right by the u-shaped holder where the shoulder screw goes. It is facing the right way and aligned with the slot but will not align with the hole. I am tempted to disconnect the shift cables to give me more access. I can't get a needle nose in to align them. There is no room to even see what is happening while I move tools in there.

I know I can get the pin in once it's aligned, I have a tool for that.

phillnjack2

Ensign

you will get there in the end, its just a very tedious fiddly job putting it on.
its one of those jobs where you need a set spanners built into your fingers with a torch built in as well.
you have to just feel around and get the pin in.
i found it hard job first few times, then got used to it.

phill

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

OK - the shift rod is right by the u-shaped holder where the shoulder screw goes. It is facing the right way and aligned with the slot but will not align with the hole. I am tempted to disconnect the shift cables to give me more access. I can't get a needle nose in to align them. There is no room to even see what is happening while I move tools in there. I know I can get the pin in once it's aligned, I have a tool for that.

Yes, temporarily disconnect the shift cable so that you can move the linkage as needed. The screwdriver and long nose pliers are to be used UNDER the hood pan on the exposed shift rod, NOT inside the pan where the powerhead is.

DPManley

Cadet

Phill and Joe,
Success! Thanks to your help, I got it back together. Took it for a test spin today and all is working perfectly.

That last pointer to move the shaft under the pan was the clincher.

I had not used this kind of forum before - really a great resource.

Thanks again.

DM

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Saved you a couple bucks did we? :)