1989 Johnson 88 hp no power

SSPrint

Cadet
I have a similar problem as Jerryny described about his 1975 88hp Johnson. I put a couple of posts here about my problem and got some tips from the good folks here and did some tests as mentioned: compression test 120-130 all 4 cyl. spark gap 7/16 on all four cyl. after replacing one coil. Took it to the lake this afternoon and here's the symptoms. Will start with choke and run with fast idle up. Seems to run fine while it's in this position. If you idle down it will run good for 1 to 3 minutes then it seams to load up with fuel and will die. If you put it in gear and ease down on the throttle it will run about 10-15 MPH (I ran it like this for at least 15 minutes. When you push the throttle forward more it will surge like it's going to take off but then it like bogs down and stays at about 10-15 MPH. At the lesser throttle position, activating the choke will make it speed up a tiny bit but if you over do it you can tell you're just flooding it. Pumping the bulb while running does not help. Any ideas what to try next.

Thanks for all the input.

Mike

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson 88 hp no power

Is your timer base under the flywheel free ?? And advancing properly ??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson 88 hp no power

You've done some good tests on the fuel system. Once the engine is fully warmed up, check all 4 spark plugs for spark. Possible it's only running on 2 or 3 cyls. The cyl drop test is a good one, or you can also use an inductive timing light to check for spark.