1996 Evinrude 150 hp Ocean Pro

kwhick66

Recruit
My engine will start great and ran great all last year, This year I had to replace fuel bulb before first use 1st time out engine ran great, 2nd time out engine fired and ran at lower rpms fine when throttling up at about 3500 rpms engine died. When trying to restart engine wouldn't fire. let sit about 10 min and restarted engine, ran fine rest of day at all rpms. Have had same problem since 1st start when throttling up motor died, sometimes would fire right up, sometime would have to wait 5 mins seem not to have to wait when I trim engine all the way up in hauling position. Replaced fuel bulb again along with fuel hose from tank to bulb and bulb to engine. Took boat out again and it seemed to be worse took four restarts before engine ran fine. Checked plugs today they seemed fine, notice a small fuel leak in one of the float assembly bowls on bottom right carb just a drip. small drip leak on left side only when running, plan on fixing. Fired engine while hooked to water hose died at around 3500 rpms fired after 5 min wait noticed fuel bulb would soften after trying to restart. Could the two small fuel leaks cause this. Also after re-firing while hooked to water hose noticed a lot of smoke at first like a lot of excess oil was in firing chambers. Thanks in advance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Evinrude 150 hp Ocean Pro

Gee, it is very hard to follow your post. Extra oil will be injected into the gasoline, if there is an airleak in the gasoline line.

It is probably best to tell us what your motor is doing now. You are using the oil injection system?

kwhick66

Recruit

As of yesterday hooked engine to water fired her up ran about 10 min at idle and cut off, would not re-fire waited ten min fired right back up. Smoke on re-fire for about 20 sec if that long. Oil injection system is working. Found that both bottom carbs leaking, one at bowl and other at gasket behind carb, will replace bowl and repair all carbs with carb repair kits. Hoping this will fix.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

After she stalls, take a spark test. Maybe powerpack is heat sensitive? Sounds like you need to rebuild all carbs. New floats, gaskets inlet needles and seats.

kwhick66

Recruit

Will do waiting on fedex for the carb rebuild kits, also replacing one bowl because of leak at the ball bearing on the side, would applying JB weld over the ball bearing on the sides of the carb bowls eliminate leakage in the future.

kwhick66

Recruit

OK I rebuilt all carbs and replaced plugs motor idles better than ever when leaving ramp she ran good until speeding up and wam stalled like you turned the switch off. pulled plugs to check spark plugs, they were not firing, waited 10 mins motor fired but stalled again when excellerating. will run at low rpms but stalls when getting into throttle. Can this be anything but the power-pack.

kwhick66

Recruit

Checked wiring today for shorts and nicks didn't find anything, but didn't expect to since motor only shuts down when excellerating on plane. so before I buy a power pack is there anything else I need to check, oh I removed power pack and checked all wiring and connection including the optical sensor found nothing that looked like it could be causing problem. Thanks