what is the correct fuel mix ratio for my 1954 15hp evinrude super fastwin

huntley887

Recruit
what is the correct fuel to oil ratio for my old evinrude 15hp super fastwin i've been told 24:1 , 32:1 and even 50:1 if im runing the new evinrude 2cycle oil. just wanna get it right so i dont hurnt the engine.
Thanks.

Timguy

Seaman
Re: what is the correct fuel mix ratio for my 1954 15hp evinrude super fastwin

Hi, I am sold on Amsoil and have used it for over30 years in all my saws and outboards. For old OMC I run 64:1 or 2oz per gallon. After 1963 needle bearings allowed even leaner ratios. I have run my trolling motors 1964 and newer at 100:1 for 30 years without a single failure. This is with non oxy fuel and you can run a one step cooler plug. So instead of a J6C you would run a J4C. I run 64:1 in my 1959 Fastwin. I would recommend no leaner than 40:1 with petroleum base oil in your Fastwin. Take care, Timguy

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd stick to TCW-3 Mixed at 24:1.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1960 Evinrude 10hp Sportwin and my manual calls for a 24:1 ratio, and is also what others have told me and it works great for me. Don't know 100% for sure about a 1954 but I'll bet it would work just fine. In the least it would be a good starting point. Hope this helps.

-B-

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

Hi, I am sold on Amsoil and have used it for over30 years in all my saws and outboards. For old OMC I run 64:1 or 2oz per gallon. After 1963 needle bearings allowed even leaner ratios. I have run my trolling motors 1964 and newer at 100:1 for 30 years without a single failure. This is with non oxy fuel and you can run a one step cooler plug. So instead of a J6C you would run a J4C. I run 64:1 in my 1959 Fastwin. I would recommend no leaner than 40:1 with petroleum base oil in your Fastwin. Take care, Timguy

:eek::eek::eek:!! 64:1......100:1 !!! thats an experiment that i would avoid ........stick with good quality tcw3 oil.....mixed at 24:1 minimum. i mix my fuel at 16:1 and use it in my motors that call for that mix, and my motors that call for 24:1. have done this for many years also.....without a single failure!!:rolleyes: jmo

Timguy

Seaman

Hah! Great advice. When I burn up my first vintage outboard, I'll let you know so you can laugh at me. Here is what I found out about Amsoil. The original testing was done at 150:1 on early 70's air cooled (of course) snowmobiles. The owner and founder of Amsoil is Al Amatuzio, a fellow Italian and personal friend of me and my dad. They finally burned up some of the Rotax motors but not until ratios exceeded 200:1. I have 2 resorts in remote NW Ontario. We started in 1964 and by 1977 had started testing Al's synthetic 2 stroke. Most of our equipment was mid to late 60's vintage. I mixed at 64:1 to start. Al said he would cover any motors that were damaged. I tell you the truth, I have not burned up or damaged one single outboard and only one chain saw in 36 years. 64:1 is more than enough lubrication (with Amsoil) for these motors dating back to the 50's. My 1957 5 1/2 is still running and all original with even the head gasket and fuel ines. It has trolled more than 2500 hours and I get a full season on one set of spark plugs. My other long living motor is a 1966 Fisherman 6hp with over 2000 hours on it. Original water pump and head gasket. It has run every year since 1977 on Amsoil at ratios between 64 and 100:1. I changed the coils, points, cond. and plug wires on both. Believe what you want but I've always said..........tell the truth, then you won't have to remember what you said.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Right from the 1954 owners manual.

1/2 PINT OF OIL per US GAL of gas 16:1

That engine is old enough to not have roller bearings on the crankshft and connecting rods.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It has roller bearings on the big end of the connecting rods, but bushings at the wrist pin end. And those bushings are the first thing to wear out and are non-replaceable except to replace the whole con rod. It also has a bushing at the bottom end of the crankshaft, but they get plenty of oil due to gravity. Use whatever oil you want, it doesn't matter to me, but it is supposed to get 16:1 (1/2 pint per gallon)

And that's the truth.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, double post

Last edited:

Timguy

Seaman

Yeah its also supposed to get SAE 30 crankcase oil at that ratio, right?

Attachments

• ratio for 54 outboard.jpg
    ratio for 54 outboard.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Yeah its also supposed to get SAE 30 crankcase oil at that ratio, right?

30 weight oil, if marine oil is unavailable...

Let's put this into perspective...
How much does a bottle of good old TCW-3 cost?
4 dollars a quart? How much money are you saving by skimping on the RECOMENDED mix of oil?
Is that money worth the risk?
You have an engine that's been running for close to 60 years with the right blend of oil. We need to change the ratio now why? A few dollars may be saved over the course of a season?

You can experiment all you want with oil mixes in YOUR engines, but insisting someone else do the same, with the life of an obsolete powerhead on the line is pretty forward...
You going to help him find and purchase a powerhead if his wears out following your guidelines?

Timguy

Seaman

Yeah, you are correct. I'll do what works for me and my visitors and if my motors are damaged, I will repair them. I'm just saying what has worked for me over the last 35 years. The reader can draw their own conclusions, they may not be as careful with mixing or do substitutions on oils. That may harm their motors.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do what the manufacturer recommends, 24:1 with TC-W3, not what they recommended when new.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

16:1 was the recommend ratio, as mentioned before this engine doesn't have needle bearings in the con rods. It needs LOTS of oil to keep them lubed. Without an adaquate oil cushion there wil be metal to metal contact.