Evinrude 90 hp full throttle in water cuts off please help!

bass man89

Cadet
I recently took my boat out and put it into the water for the first time in about 2 years.The boat ran great a couple of years ago with two six gallon gas tanks. I recently went to a 12 gallon gas tank with the same fuel line and fittings. To continue I Stopped on the way there and got fresh gas and mixed it 40:1 with the oil. Got to the ramp and cranked it up after pulling the motor cover off and spraying starter fluid in it. Revved the motor up for a couple of Minutes to get it warm put the cover back on and off I went for about a minute. Then all of a sudden it sounded like it was starving for fuel and died in the process. I cranked it back up and it did the same thing all day. However when I was going slow it was fine. I made a phone call on the water and got told to clean the filter in the gas line which I did installed it back and the same thing happened again. I got back home and have been told it was a carburetor issue which I had to clean the carburetor before I took the boat to the water after the clean it ran great on the water hose. After I got home from the water it runs good on the water hose sAme fuel and tank with the throttle open. I've also been told its the size of my gas tanks I need to either get a better fuel line or go back to the six gallon tanks which I haven't tried in the river but on the water hose it runs great. Any ideas or recommendations?

Also tired venting the gas tank and still didn't work when I was on the water.

Also forgot to add I use to mix the oil ratio with the gas 50:1 when I went out the other day I mixed it 40:1 like I said runs great on water hose but when in the water under throttle runs about 2 minutes tops. Could the 40:1 cause this?

Checked the fire on all the spark plugs today and all 4 plugs are getting fire going to try again Thursday morning with 50:1 oil and gas on 6 gallon tank any more ideas?

Last edited:

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 90 hp full throttle in water cuts off please help!

I would check fuel pump. Go out on the water and have someone pump the primer bulb while you are driving at WOT. If it does not die then you need to replace fuel pump. The ability for the engine to run on muffs suggests this is the issue because you need less fuel when you are not in the water. The fuel pump cannot handle the higher volume requirement when the engine has to move the boat. Check every aspect of your fuel line to make sure there are no obstructions, that will cause the same symptoms as failing pump.

bass man89

Cadet

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap set of spark plug wires for this motor?

Yes cheap because I'm trying to trade it. I was wondering if I have to use marine wires or can I go to an auto parts store and match up something?

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

You need marine fuel lines. The ethanol eats up the lines.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry i meant to say you need to get marine spark plugs. You should get the ones recommended for your engine

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It would be helpful to know just what year engine you are working on. Pls post a model number.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Does that 12 gal tank have a antisiphon valve in it? If so, that is a prime candidate to restrict fuel flow. Mix your fuel at 50::1. There is no advantage to the 40::1 fuel mix, but no harm either. Get the right spark plug wires for your motor. Don't use starting fluid. post the model number as was asked.

bass man89

Cadet

Model number is E90tlcca which is a 1988 evinrude 90 horsepower which is what crowleymarine.com told me.

From the best I can tell no there is not a antisiphon pump on the tank.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The anti-siphon valve is on most built-in tanks. It is a valve, not a pump. There is a spring-loaded ball valve inside which is very sensitive to grit, debris. As Chris said, it is a possible problem are to check. It's simple to check. If it's not an issue, you've not wasted much time.

bass man89

Cadet

Good news everyone, I mixed my gas back 50:1 and went back to my two six gallon gas tanks today. Took the boat out this morning in hopes to catch some bass and the motor was great it was running wide open any time I wanted it my guess is the gas tank had to have that anti-siphon valve I'm just not sure what it looks like. Another fisherman told me the size of the gas tank matters if I want to go to the twelve gallon gas tank then I need a bigger gas line. He said you have to make sure it has good suction on the tank if not it will do it because he had the same problem.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this issue if you ever need anything just let me know

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bass man, the other fisherman is clueless. Size of the tank does not influence fuel line diameter. The size of the motor determines the size of the fuel line. Unscrew the fitting on that 12G tank, the the rubber fuel line clamps to. That is usually the Antisiphon valve.

If that is not it, post back. Your 12G tank is vented properly?

willy007

Seaman

Hey Bass man, the other fisherman is clueless. Size of the tank does not influence fuel line diameter. The size of the motor determines the size of the fuel line....

If that is not it, post back. Your 12G tank is vented properly?

+1 It is most likely a venting issue... You could use any size tank that you want and as long as there aren't any fuel restrictions anywhere (poorly vented or clogged) than you'd be good to go!

bass man89

Cadet

There is no vent on the twelve gallon gas tank the only way to vent the tank is to loosen the gas lid a little. I took some photos of the twelve gallon gas tank so someone could tell me if it has that antisiphon valve on it or not.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Is that red piece at the end of the gas line that goes into the tank the antisiphon valve?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That red thing on the end of the fuel pickup is a screen? If so, the only other likely place to look is where the fuel tank barb attaches to the "l" fitting. Does it unscrew? If so,it may be the A-S valve. If not, then the tank doesn't have one. Is the fuel screen clean?

bass man89

Cadet

Yes on the end of the line where the red thing is that is a screen and appears clean. I'm not sure about the other fitting ill have to take a closer look at it.