79 Evinrude 2hp water pump replacement help

RAHFISH

Recruit
I recently bought a 1979 Evinrude OB (Model 2902A) that runs great and has great compression. As preventative maintenance, I wanted to replace the water pump. According to all the info I could find on the net, you remove the two bolts From the gear case, just in front of the prop. I did this and the prop housing will separate about an inch and then it is restricted from coming out by something higher up. I would guess in the area where the splined drive shaft attaches to the engine block assembly. None of the drawings I can find show anything to keep it from coming out.

Does anyone have an idea what is restricting the removal of the lower gear case? Do I have to go into the powerhead to disconnect something?

Thanks in advance for your help---RAHFISH

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 79 Evinrude 2hp water pump replacement help

Welcome to the forum.
It sounds like you have all the bolts removed. If the driveshaft was siezed to the crank, I don't think it would drop any distance at all. Sometimes the water tube will stick in the grommet and cause it not to drop. If it drops an inch, everything should be loose, GENTLY pry between the lower unit and exhaust housing and see if it will drop down.
There should be no need to pull the power head to disconnect anything.

RAHFISH

Recruit
Re: 79 Evinrude 2hp water pump replacement help

Thanks for the quick reply---and you were correct. With some very gentle, prying the shaft came free; however, the bad news is that the cooling water tube with the grommet attached also came out. The grommet and copper tube looks to be in good shape but it has "slots" in the rubber that must attach to some point at the upper end of the exhaust tube or engine case. From looking up the tube with a light, I can not see any obvious connection points.

So once again, my question again is do I have to remove the exhaust tube assembly to get at the point where the slotted grommet goes?
I sure hope not!

Sincere thanks again---RAHFISH