1998 evinrude 115hp problems

jetskijoe

Recruit
I have an 1998 evinrude 115hp loop charged motor on a 16ft larson flyer. Everything works great except for the tachometer and the motor tilt. Tachometer doesn't work at all and the tilt goes down, but not up. It only goes up when the boat is planed out. the battery is fully charged and is brand new. I find this very strange, any suggestions on what I can do before I take it to get repaired?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 evinrude 115hp problems

Welcome to the forum.
I think your best bet is to get the FACTORY manual for your engine, it will have the electrical schematics and a trouble shooting chart that will help you find and correct your problem.

peterebarber

Recruit
Re: 1998 evinrude 115hp problems

I have an 1998 evinrude 115hp loop charged motor on a 16ft larson flyer. Everything works great except for the tachometer and the motor tilt. Tachometer doesn't work at all and the tilt goes down, but not up. It only goes up when the boat is planed out. the battery is fully charged and is brand new. I find this very strange, any suggestions on what I can do before I take it to get repaired?

I've got a 1997 Flyer with the Johnson 115hp loop charged motor - and bought it new. Love it !

I share the belief that the service manuals are the way to turn. I've had to replace the tach once - it has the 4 light diagnostic tool on it and the whole thing stopped working. I diagnosed the problem with the manual and then bought a new one. Worked fine after replacing it.

Not sure what's up with your tilt, but hard to see how they are related.

good luck,

tuckerman52

Cadet
I have a 1997 Larson 166 flyer w 115 Johnson. Tach works fine til about 4000rpm. Then goes crazy. Shooting to 7000 or so. Just wondering. Any ideas? Was told to move switch on back of tach. A few times. See if works... If not anybody know where I can get. The tach to match. White background so blk letters. Would like to stay original... Any help appreciated. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 1997 Larson 166 flyer w 115 Johnson. Tach works fine til about 4000rpm. Then goes crazy. Shooting to 7000 or so. Just wondering. Any ideas? Was told to move switch on back of tach. A few times. See if works... If not anybody know where I can get. The tach to match. White background so blk letters. Would like to stay original... Any help appreciated. Thanks

This is an old, inactive thread. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new topic. Members seldom look at old threads.