2001 35 hp johnson tiller drive help connecting rod cap??

dueydag

Recruit
Middle piston skirt blew and damaged wall and has overheated connecting rod cap and rod. The motor was given to me for scrap but I am a bit handy with repairs and reboring and honing, so I ordered 3 sets 030. pistons and rings, 1 connecting rod complete with roller caged needle bearings. just wondering by doing a dry run on middle cylinder which is damaged by placing old piston at BDC and journal is easy to get at in that position. Placed connecting rod cap finger tight on bearing, Turned crank 6-7 times normal rotation direction without rings just to see if cap aligns without connecting rod alignment tool which is not available here. Next tightened cap screws lightly with socket made to fit perfectly, turned crank 5 more times, tightened cap screws more tighter, turned crank 5 more times and made notice needle bearing cage turning what seemed normal rotation no binding. I placed a mark with a magic marker on cage that you can view slightly from side at certain position. About every 4 to 5 turns I would see magic marker go by moving freely and also cage holding needle bearings going by ok. Took a sharp pencil point on one side of cap perfect no seam to be felt on other cap end seam can be felt slightly but crank and old piston without rings move perfect {old Parts}. When the new parts arrive connecting rod and cap, would this mickey mouse alignment procedure I tried here be accepatable you think, I know its time consuming or is there a better way. Putting a short shaft, short shifter rod,new thermostat,new water pump shaft,shaft seal, tiller drive rope start i have on it.currently it is a long shaft. invested $1200 parts proudly and will spend more if need be. This is probably an old related post but would like a good reply thankyou.:decision: