'89 Johnson 40 HP sitting for at least 8 years

Cschoenfeld

Recruit
Hello all.

I was asked to help a buddy out with his "new" boat. He asked if i would go through the engine and give it a good tune up. The boat is a 89 Bass Tracker with 40 HP johnson on it. My plan is to do the following. I am wondering if there is anything else recommended to do also.

1) replace water pump impeller and and seals.
2) drain/change lower unit oil
3) overhaul carb
4) change all fuel/vacuum/water lines
5) change plugs
6) lubricate cylinders with marvels mystery oil (and turn over by hand a couple revolutions)
7) remove VRO and run pre-mix 50:1
8) visually inspect electrical connections, replace as needed

The past owner said the motor ran when parked but he knew the water pump was gone because of the amount of water coming out of tell-tale. Please let me know if there are any other things that should be done before firing engine.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: '89 Johnson 40 HP sitting for at least 8 years

If the water pump impellar was gone then maybe a compression check before anything else. Never know if they'd overheated it. Otherwise sounds good. Also grease'r up. Tilt tube, steering piviots, shift and throttle linkages.

Cschoenfeld

Recruit

Good thinking. I hadn't thought of that. Should i do the compression test before lubing the cylinder? I feel like the fluid in the cylinder might give false indication of good compression if it is filling the voids.

67-69johnman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lubing the cylinder mimics having fuel mix in them. to me that would be an accurate measurement

Cschoenfeld

Recruit

True. Lube cylinder first it is. Thanks for the advice guys!

richardgreen

Seaman

The manual tilt system on that motor was problematic. You can search this forum for more details. Only fix when it breaks is to upgrade to PTT. Just be aware of this as you get started as you might need to budget for it. Other than the manual tilt it's a very good motor.

rc1082

Recruit

I picked up an 89 40hp motor except mine sat for 21 years. Drained lower unit oil new plugs and fired right up and runs great. Next I will do impeller. The tilt assist was bad also. Upgraded to power trim costed me around $900 for trim unit and I made my own wiring harness. All I can say is its a good motor