1989 3hp Johnson water pump

kboomisme

Cadet
I have an 89 Johnson 3hp that I need to replace the water pump on. I can not find a shop manual anywhere for this motor and have no idea how to go about replacing it. Is there anyone on here that could tell me how to get the lower unit off? I have changed outboard water pumps before so once I get the lower unit off, I should be all set. Thanks in advance.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 3hp Johnson water pump

I have an 89 Johnson 3hp that I need to replace the water pump on. I can not find a shop manual anywhere for this motor and have no idea how to go about replacing it. Is there anyone on here that could tell me how to get the lower unit off? I have changed outboard water pumps before so once I get the lower unit off, I should be all set. Thanks in advance.

Just held on with two bolts #34 HERE

The water tube should pull from the pump and the shift rod from the gearcase.
The drive shaft should pull from the power head but that might be a problem if the splines have not previously been lightly greased and it has rusted in.

kboomisme

Cadet

Thanks for the replies and diagram. I will give it a try.

kboomisme

Cadet

Well, I got the bottom part off with the pump in it. No problem. Now I am wondering how to get the impeller into the cup and up onto the shaft with the keyway in it??????Seems nearly impossible!!!! Any ideas or hints??? Thanks