1979 Johnson 100 HP kill switch

ceddon46

Seaman Apprentice
kill switch not working even put a wire to Neg side of battery and touched it to the black w/ yl strip boat side of the red connector , motor keep running , had to pull fuel line , , what could be the problem do those red connectors go bad ? also there is 2 black /w yellow strip on engine side of red connector , would I need to short both of those if I bypass the red connector ? ignition switch works cause when off both m's are made in off potion checked with continuity meter

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Johnson 100 HP kill switch

The red connector or black/yellow wire could be open somewhere, but you eliminated that when you connected a jumper between the neg battery post and black/yellow wire at the power pack. Only thing left is a bad power pack.

Hm.m.m.m., I don't remember without looking it up. That motor only has one power pack, doesn't it? Different conclusion if it has two.

ceddon46

Seaman Apprentice

It has 2 , dont think it can be power pack cause it starts and runs across lake like a new engine ,have not jumped it on engine side of red conncetor yet , boat side of the red connector there is one bk/yl wire on engine side of red connector there is 2 so do I short both of the black/ye to kill it are just one , thinking the 2 might become one at the connector

ceddon46

Seaman Apprentice

going to ohm them out see if they are tied together