Evinrude selectric shifter

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Help someone!

I have a 1962 Evinrude selectric shift 40 H.P motor. Last year, I replaced the electro magnets in the lower unit and had no problem until today. I have my forward gear up to about 1/2 throttle, then after 1/2 throttle, it is in neutral. Seems that I am losing my electric flow to the electro magnet at anything above 1/2 throttle. I checked all the wires out while parked in my garage. I have good juice and the prop only turns one way in forward gear and the opposite way in reverse gear.

When the speed is increased and the motor seems like I pushed the neutral switch, (forward gear switch stays engaged) if I just back down on the speed, I am back in forward gear. In goes in and out of gear with no banging at all. It is real smooth both in and out of gear. Any ideas on what can cause me to lose the electric to the magnets only at above 1/2 speed? What should I look for?? If the gear oil was low, could this cause what I have described? What if it has water in it? It is discolored SLIGHTLY. Thanks.

Another thought I had was maybe the prop is spun. I took that off and the hub in the center of it seems very tight and is not spinning when I put it in a vice, but I thought maybe with a lot of torque on it, it may be free spinning on the shaft??

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude selectric shifter

To check for a spun prop hub, pull the prop and scribe a line from the center hub and the prop housing. Run the engine until it acts up and then pull the prop and see if the lines still match up, if the lines don't match you have a spun hub.

iggyw1

Thanks for this information on how to check for a spun prop. That sounds like a great way to test it. I will do this tomorrow. I am really hoping that is the problem. If it is not spun, I don't know what the problem could be. I changed the gear oil today when I got home as well, so if the hub is not spun, and if the motor does not go into neutral like it did today, it was the oil that was bad I guess. If it still acts up and the prop is ok, I don't know what the problem may be! It would have to be I am losing my electric flow to the magnets in the gear case????

iggyw1

Update: I checked my prop out and it is NOT a spun hub, but it sure is still acting like one. Again, I have the electric shift Evinrude 40 h.p.1962. It works great in the garage. It is indicating full electric power when it is in gear (not running) from idle to full throttle. The prop only turns one way telling me the electric magnet is engaging. On the lake, I can go 1/2 throttle then it seems that I lose my electric to the electro magnets or something, as it is in neutral. When I back down on the throttle to idle, it is in gear again until I go over 1/2 throttle, then back in neutral. When boat is not running, I have electric power the whole time no matter where the throttle is. This is a tough one!!

I cannot leave the throttle in 3/4 speed on the lake while it appears to be in neutral to check for the electric flow as I am worried about blowing a piston or something while it is going over the correct RPMs. How can I check it? Any ideas on what is happening here? Everything in the lower unit was new and replaced last year. It goes in and out of gear with no banging. Real smooth.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, hold on there. You say you have electric power to the magnets. Exactly how are you determining this? Put a voltmeter on the green wire terminal of the cable going to the lower unit, (without disconnecting the terminals), turn the key on and push the forward button, then the other buttons and forward some more. You should get battery voltage each time. The push button switches are notorious for giving trouble. The cable going down to the lower unit could be burned up too. Did you put the insulating sleeve on it when you had it apart?

iggyw1

I tested the green wire with a voltage tester when I put it in forward gear (without motor running). I have voltage. When I put it in reverse or neutral, there is no voltage on the green wire. In reverse, I have voltage on the blue wire until I put it into neutral or forward gear. Every time I put it into forward gear, I test positive for voltage on the green wire. Never failed. I did replace the push buttons last year, but of course it was a used set, but clean and tested before I installed it.

I did put the insulation sleeve back in place on the cable going back down to the gear case. If it were burned up now, would I still get a forward gear for up to 1/2 throttle? It appears I am getting the electric flow even with full throttle in my garage, should it not be the same when the motor is running on the lake??? This has me baffled to say the least!! I have electric AND the prop turns only one direction when in forward gear and the opposite direction in reverse even when in full throttle (in my garage without the motor running). Wouldn't this indicate that the electro magnets are engaging properly? Just wondering what is making them 'dis-engage' above 1/2 throttle while running my boat??

This problem is a bit much for my scope of expertise on this motor, but I cannot find a mechanic that will work on the electric shift motors. The power head runs too good to scrap this motor! Does not have a lot of hours on it.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I know this will be a dumb question, but what kind of oil do you have in it ??

iggyw1

OK Guys,

Thanks for all of your help. Problem solved! It is definitely a spun hub after all. I took it out again today, I marked the hub and prop housing again, and this time, the two marks were about 1/2 turn off each other. The last time I checked it out for a spun hub, the marks were still together. Do you believe it was possible for the marks to end up where they began??? It is probably easier to hit the power ball lottery for millions of dollars!!! LOL

In one of my posts I stated that it sure felt and acted like a spun hub, but it did not prove out when the marks lined up. WOW. That has to be tremendous odds. Anyway, new question now. Can I get the prop repaired or should I just try to find a prop for it? It will probably be a used one. It is a 1962 model motor. Evinrude 40 h.p. What prop should I get?
The only numbers on the prop I have says MICHIGAN 5 - 5, Mean anything to anyone??

Thanks guys!

boobie: Yes, I did have the correct oil in it. Type 'C' made for electric shifter. NOT a dumb question either.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Cheaper to get the prop rehubbed.

iggyw1

Note: I ordered the 12 pitch from iboats. They have a 11-1/2 and a 12 pitch for my motor. I am after top end speed rather than hole shot power, so I figured the 12 is best for me, but at the same time, may not even be able to tell any difference between the two, correct??

The prop was just ordered today (two hrs ago) and they told me it would arrive at my house tomorrow! What quick service, and less than $10 shipping.

Last edited: