I have an extra part, or not. 115 johnson gearcase

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice
Replacing the water pump, seals in the bearing carrier, and drive shaft seals. I took them apart and will have no problem replacing them with assistance of my manual. While inspecting what I have apart, I noticed a small pin about 1 1/2 inches long on the table. Tapered on both ends.... "Maybe I shouldn't have rotated the case around on the table while removing the parts"... Big problem, or maybe a pin from a bearing ?:eek:

JDusza

Ensign
Re: I have an extra part, or not. 115 johnson gearcase

Hows about a serial number?
Would be glad to help.
J

Bosunsmate

Admiral

What years this?
Block your ears, it may be the clutch dog pin.
Does turning driveshaft in gear turn the prop?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If its about 1/16 in dia its a bearing from the propshaft carrier bearing. If it was crosspin unit would have took a s@@t a long time ago.

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

It's an 85 model, (115TLCO). I found a few very small shards of stainless in the 6-8 oz of oil that I drained from it after buying the setup. The mere fact that it had a seal leaking on the bottom should have made me hesitate longer in buying it.. The pin is about 1/8th in dia. Probably time to go deeper huh. Thing is I didn't see it on any of the diagrams..
Hows about a serial number?
Would be glad to help.
J

Last edited:

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

What years this?
Block your ears, it may be the clutch dog pin.
Does turning driveshaft in gear turn the prop?

Its an 85. Ya think the clutch dog pin can just fall out without a good reason? The case was working fine at the dock, although I didn't go out for a ride. I "did rotate the prop shaft by hand without the bearing carrier in place, but found nothing out of the ordinary" as far as shafts an bearing feels go. Isn't the pin your referring to a bit larger than this? about 1/8 in dia, an 1 1/2 long. I need to get a pic out.

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

If its about 1/16 in dia its a bearing from the propshaft carrier bearing. If it was crosspin unit would have took a s@@t a long time ago.

It's a bit larger than 1/16th, and that's what has me puzzled. about an eighth. and it is tapered on both ends. unless I'm mistake, aren't all these style bearings "flat" on both ends? I don't recall ever seeing any (and I deal with many styles in my job) Tapered on both ends.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Look at both the prop shaft bearing(behind prop seals) and reverse gear bearing to see if ones missing. The propshaft bearing is a pin bearing like in pic below....

needle brg.jpeg

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

Nope.. Not a "point" like that. it's just a gradual taper. Those are what I expected with a needle type . Do you know of any other place, like maybe on the drive shaft bearing where they would just be tapered ? I really didn't wanna pull the shafts out, but I'm afraid I'm gonnna have to in order to find the missing location. I had the large internal snap rings out to look in that area for any damage, but didn't want to pull it out (the prop shaft ) for fear of something moving out of place. Now that I have access to the svc manual, there's not that much worry.. I'm going to have to do it anyway to find it. "Not going to chance destruction do to something so obvious".
Look at both the prop shaft bearing(behind prop seals) and reverse gear bearing to see if ones missing. The propshaft bearing is a pin bearing like in pic below....

View attachment 206204

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

009.jpg010.jpgI was wrong, the size is smaller. Could the pointed tips have broken off? Appreciate the help.. Probably is a bearing right? But which one?

View attachment 206204

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice

"I have discovered that this pin is was used to lock the impeller to the drive shaft." Homemade fixes. Hhmmm. Scary. Almost caused me to totally disassemble the case for no reason. Thanks for help guys.