1998 115 Evinrude FICHT

Hi There,

I am considering purchasing a 1998 115 HP Evinrude FICHT motor. I have read a lot of negative reports on these, but am looking for some more advice. Sounds like most of the "problems" occurred soon after purchase. Would a 1998 that is still working very well be a safe bet? I have seen a video of the engine running and it sounds great. Very quiet, smooth, extremely quick acceleration and lots of power. Only thing is it is misssing the oil injection tank as the previous owner removed it to use on another motor. I presume this is not too hard to come by.

I have a 70 hp Mariner that I blew one cylinder on - working too hard towing the kids on tube. Need a replacement fast!!! Any advice or experience appreciated!!

Thanks

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 115 Evinrude FICHT

:eek:Please do yourself a huge favor, and RUN away very fast, and don't look back!.

Thanks for the feedback. This seems to be along the lines of most of the online information. Call me a sucker but I am still tempted given the price - $2000 CDN including controls and prop. It really sounds good........ Anything even close in a non-FICHT engine is at least $1000 more and up........

Any more advice? Any positive? Am I crazy....?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK hears the deal, Say you have a injector fail, or even worse a EMM fail and let's not forget about the PDP panel. They no longer build the injector and you have the early style injector, very hard to come by. If you have a EMM fail, DFI technologies can revamp it for around $300.00 to $600.00. Sometimes they have good luck with the repair, sometimes not, I have sent many EMM to them the outcome can very. And a injector fail would require you to first find one, then send the EMM to them and have them re-wright the coefficient. And about the PDP panel they had a high fail rate and they are a mere $460.00. If you want to take a chance go ahead. After 23 years as a tech I get a bad feeling when I see FFI come in for repair

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Dont forget the vapor seperator/fuel pump as their a mere $750 bucks now. !!!

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to heed this wisdom and left the FICHT right where it was. I think I made the right decision. I just picked up a beautiful 1997 Evinrude 90 SPL in pristine shape. Got it installed on my transom last night and am hooking up the controls today and giving it a test run at the cottage. Will post some feedback of how it runs and pictures of the install. I think it will be like a new boat. Really looks good on there. This thing should be bulletproof - at least that's the reputation those 90? V4's have. It is replacing a 1982 Mariner 3-cyl 70 HP so I think I will see a major improvement!!

Thanks