Just got my first boat. 1957 Johnson 35 Sea Horse /1966 Duo Craft

Rapunzel

Cadet
I'm new here.
Been lurking for about a week now trying to learn all I can about my motor and boat.
My dad got it for a song because he sure can't dance! LOL
He gave it to me for my boys to work on and enjoy.
It's been sitting for a few years and needs a little work.

Wanted to share pics

Any thoughts,suggestions and helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rapunzel

Attachments

• Boat 081813 all pics 012.jpg
    Boat 081813 all pics 012.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 081813 all pics 010.jpg
    Boat 081813 all pics 010.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Just got my first boat. 1957 Johnson 35 Sea Horse /1966 Duo Craft

hi Rapunzel. Welcome to iboats. That is one sweeeeet rig you got there! The hull looks to be in good condition and the motor is one of the all time greats with all the extra fancy bells and whistles too. Not to worry, you're in the right place. Lots folks here love the vintage stuff. With fiberglass boats, you want to be sure that the transom and stringers are still in good shape, or they'll need to be replaced. In the meantime here are some handy lnks and articles to familiarize yourself with your motor. You can get any routine parts you may need for the job right here at iboats. Just be sure that you only ever run it on the water and/or in a test tank with water filled up to about 1"-2" below the main exhaust port on the back of the leg. These old girls don't have self-priming waterpumps, so you can't use modern "muffs" either. 24:1 mix with Champion J6C plugs should have her running like a dream. Congrats on the new toy!

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1
1957 Johnson RJE-19 35 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Rapunzel

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome.

The boys have stripped out the old rotten seats and pressure washed the entire boat.
It cleaned up really well. The drain plug was missing and filled with debris.
Everything looks great on the transom and flooring/decking. Learning a new language here.
The plug in for the fuel/air doesn't seem to be connecting solid to the motor. I can move it once it snaps in place.(see pic)
Is that normal, or should it be a tight fit?
Got new plugs, The plug wires are in excellent shape.
The fuel can is awesome. It still holds pressure and reads volume.
The motor is very clean except for a few spiders.:eek:
Haven't messed with the electrical yet. Have to get a battery. Any recommendations on that,
for starting this old gal?
The boys are fearful of their shoulders hurting trying to pull start her.
(silly boys:facepalm:)
Here are a few more pics after cleaning: well mostly clean.

Rapunzel

Attachments

• boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 081813 all pics 006.jpg
    Boat 081813 all pics 006.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 081813 all pics 004.jpg
    Boat 081813 all pics 004.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 081813 all pics 007.jpg
    Boat 081813 all pics 007.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 081813 all pics 013.jpg
    Boat 081813 all pics 013.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

Looks pretty clean indeed. The gas connector should only click once and may be a little wobbly. Probably not a bad idea to replace it, if you're concerned about it. You'll also want to check the small o-rings found in the fuel line connector. They can sometimes decay and cause air leaks. While you're currently running the original 2-line, pressure tank set up, you can convert it to a modern, single-line set up with relative ease. I can post some links if you're interested. As far as a battery, any standard marine starting battery should work. Although, I've seen folks use batteries as small as the one on motorcycles/ATVs. However, if the motor is in good running condition, it will pull start with relative ease. I used to have an old 33hp that I could pull start, if need be.

64osby

Admiral

Rapunzel, Nice looking project and a great motor. As kfa said you can convert the motor to a single line (fuel) set up, but the two line works great as long as the tank holds pressure and the line is good. If you're going to use gas with ethanol you should look at replacing the lines so the ethanol wont break the old rubber down and plug the carb.

Make sure the motor has good compression and replace the impeller. Any battery will work for testing purposes.

As mentioned above make sure the transom is solid and the floor is good and you and the boy's will be out having fun in no time at all. And no they won't pull their shoulder out.