HELP HELP on vacation, boat motor probs 1993 20 hp evinrude

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi, help if ya can, in adirondack mountains new york state with family... 20 hp evinrude, 1993 running great then at WOT just CONKED OUT... didn't sputter, just conked. now earlier in week, it was sputtering a bit, but did alot of trolling, and figured, the plugs were shot from running slow... so i threw new plugs in. ran great. yesterday my son was running WOT or close to it and CONKED out again... no sputter, just conked. Today, i went WOT and running great then all of sudden..CONKED OUT... any ideas of something i can try? CLEAN tank, using 93 octate, NO ETHANOL gas and evinrude mix... can't figure, out. maybe carb plugged up...? worth spraying some gumout into the carb? any ideas THANKS guys,

wife sharpening the kitchen knives... neeed help before she carves me up

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HELP HELP on vacation, boat motor probs 1993 20 hp evinrude

Be sure the vent is open on the fuel tank.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Is there a good flow of water coming out of the pee hole? How hard is it to re-start?

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep water from pee hole... take couple of pulls 4 or 5 to get started again... uup til yesterday, it would be first pull starter...

AlTn

Commander

got spark to both plugs?...if not, follow the stop switch wires back and you should find a connection which has 1 of the 2 wires < 1 wire will go to ground near this connection> that connects to a wire from the powerpack. Unscrew or pull apart this connection < I can't remember which> and the wires should disconnect. Check if you now have spark. If the motor starts, you'll have to either pull the plug wires to stop it or disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of gas. I guess you stuff something in the carb throat as well. Anyway, that 's where I would start with what you describe. If you have spark to both cylinders, it's on to the fuel side.

64osby

Admiral

I went to the doctor. I said it hurts when I do this. He said don't do that!

It sounds like it only quits at WOT. Don't do that!...

... Until you have time and resources to fix the problem.

You're on vacation enjoy and fix it later. At 3/4 throttle you do 14 mph vs 18 at WOT