Powerpack 150 hp 60degree V6 OIS Ignition Evinrude

s.wxman

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
1995 150hp V6. It is a 60 degree looper with OIS ignition. Can I change out the powerpack without destroying the ignition timing? Both manuals I have direct going through the sync and timing procedure after replacing, but they give no alternate method of timing without the OMC Ignition Analyzer. I hate to need to take back to shop. $1500 at two different shops and doing the same thing it always has.

So, if I am careful about any adjustment slides/screws going back to same spot will the powerpack change alone mess up the timing?
Is there a way to juryrig whatever the Ignition analyzer does in the timing procedure or a way to time this engine without it?

Thanks
Wxman

Intermittently this engine just dies. No sputter or anything it just dies. Happens at medium speed or WOT. Might happen once per outing or multiple times, sometimes never. Most usually it will immediately start back up and run. Has been getting worse in that it happens more often and is less and less likely to immediately start back up. Has never happened on the muffs. Both shops have focused on fuel. First shop rebuilt two carbs and replaced plugs. Never had an outing without boat dieing at speed. Second shop said all carbs needed rebuilt, even though two had only had about 20 gals gas through them, and replaced plugs again. Boat died three times in a 40 minute outing. I have never thought it was fuel related because it dies so instantly, like the kill switch was activated. I am looking for shorts with the black/yellow wires and considering replacing the powerpack just to rule it out. If I can figure out the timing thing I can replace pack and plug wires for less than even having a shop look at it again, and their track record is sketchy right now anyway.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Powerpack 150 hp 60degree V6 OIS Ignition Evinrude

You can use a timing light to set the timing and you don't need the analyzer. I've done this many times.

s.wxman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks boobie. I feel a little dumb, but here goes. To use the timing light do I need to have engine running like I would with cars in my youth and kind of do the trial and error, or do I follow a procedure closer to the manual and analyzer with the engine off? If engine off with timing light do I need to supply power other than turning ignition on?
For me I don't understand how changing the powerpack would affect timing anyway, assuming it is good right now. If I can't round up the tools/info to time this engine I may change the powerpack and take it back to shop for a sync and timing procedure. I would think that straightforward for any Evinrude certified shop.
Thanks again

s.wxman

Seaman Apprentice

Double Post Deleted

Last edited:

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would say swap out the pack and the timing sensor, in fact if you go with OEM parts( BRP )the sensor comes with the pack. For some reason i have just had a rash of these in the shop lately, same things were happening. You can just use a timing light, on a side note most likely the timing won't change but 1 to 2 dregs.

s.wxman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for that as well woody. I ordered up a CDI powerpack. I debated and decided against the sensor originally, but now may see if I can get it added to the order. Have new plug wires coming too (18 yrs old is pretty old). I think I can get the sensor changed no problem.

I found the following about the timing with a light at maxrules.com. Hopefully, with another person, I can crank the engine without the remote starter and get this procedure to work. Sound about right??

""A breakthrough at CDI Electronics has allowed the use of microprocessor digital control circuits to handle the timing, QuikStart, S.L.O.W., rev limiter and data logging inside the power pack. This allows the timing to be set using a timing light, remote starter, spark gap tester, piston stop tool and a jumper wire.

With these new digital power packs, you disconnect the port temperature switch/sensor leads and use a jumper wire to short the tan temperature sensor wire to engine ground. Once you have verified the timing pointer using a piston stop tool (or a dial indicator), connect all spark plug wires to a spark gap tester, and connect a remote starter to the engine and a timing light to the No.1 spark plug wire.

When you crank the engine over with the remote starter and check the timing, you will notice the timing is set to approximately 4?- 6? ATDC (after top dead center). By advancing the throttle all the way and rechecking the timing for WOT (wide open throttle), you should see approximately 19? - 20? BTDC (before top dead center). Without this timing feature built into the power pack, you would not be able to easily set the timing for idle or WOT without the Johnson/Evinrude optical diagnostic tool.""

That is my plan at the moment, barring someone convincing me there is a better direction to go.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You got it bud.:D