1996 johnson 200hp venom surges

cmoore938

Recruit
I have a 200hp venom that runs fine n turns the rpms when it hot n dry out side but when its rainy or alot of moisture in the air it will not turn but 4800 and surges to the point you think its going to die. Dont matter what tank im on, ive checked all hoses, pretty sure it electrical but not sure where to start looking.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 johnson 200hp venom surges

I had a buddy that had that same motor. He had all kinds of problems with it and most of which could be easy fixes if you knew what to look for (trained tech). He once had a wire that was pinched and it was restricting current flow somehow? (I didn't even think that was possible electrically as current will flow through wiring regardless of pinched)

This motor is injected so it's definitely an electrical problem. I wanted to say fuel-to-air mix but......that makes no sense so it must be electrical. Sorry........I'm no help here but I do know that motor has lots of ways you can have electrical problems from what I've seen.

First thing to do is find out where water or moisture could be effecting the motor or the control box itself. (i'm guessing you've done this already?) That could help narrow things down a little. Also, sounds like it could be a power pack. I know my buddy replaced 2 or 3 of these in a few years time.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 johnson 200hp venom surges

this motor is injected so it's definitely an electrical problem
Your motor is carbed not injected....Start in on hose at night and look at coils to see if they are leaking to ground. Also squirt them down with water bottle but not when running..