1987 Evinrude, 60 ph E60ELCUC Starter Issues

sjb0239

Cadet
I have a strong battery but hard to crank engine. If it wasn?t for an easy to start engine, it would never start. I have been having fuel issues so I once again pulled the carbs, cleaned them up, replaced a cracked cold start solenoid cap and put things back together. Primed things up and gave it a try. As always, very sluggish cranking power. Made several attempts but now it wont even turn over. When I hit the ignition, all I get is one strong click from the solenoid. I pulled the cables and cleaned/polished. No success. I suspect either the starter or perhaps not getting enough current to the starter from the solenoid but what do I know? Is there any easy backyard mechanic 'want to be' testing that can be done before I just start buying parts? any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1987 Evinrude, 60 ph E60ELCUC Starter Issues

It sounds like your starter is beginning to go bad. Take some WD40 and spray the shaft a few times and crank it. Might just be a bunch of crud on it. If it does spin well after that put a light coating of fine oil, like sewing machine oil on the shaft.

sjb0239

Cadet

Thanks for your quick reply. I was able to turn the shaft with myfingers last night but it didnt spend easily. Should it? Do I need to remove the starter, take it apart and lightly oil the entire shaft or just do as you suggested and spray with WD40, work it in until it spins freely and give it a try? I will do that first thing when I get home tonight. Also, if the starter is going bad, can I just replace the brushes or should I just buck up and buy a new one? Thanks agan fireman57!

fireman57

Captain

If you can rebuild it yourself then I would do that if spraying it down with WD40 doesn't work. If it does work then just give the shaft a light coating of light oil. If you use a heavy oil it just gums up and collects more crud.

Fed

Commander

Make sure you are getting 12 volts between the starter positive terminal & the engine block when you hit the key.

Make sure you are getting 12 volts between the starter positive terminal & the engine block when you hit the key.

that's the best idea but expect 11 volts between the starter terminal and the block. If its less then 11 volts measure the solenoid starter side then the solenoid battery side and see if there's a voltage drop there. The starter is easy to field strip and check for things like a dirty stator, magnets coming unglued, starter positive bolt over tightened so it spun pulling one brush off the stator, worn out brushes, etc

Fed

Commander

Good point Glenn, I should have said to take a voltage reading & report back.

I have a strong battery but hard to crank engine.
First take a reading across the battery terminals while cranking to get a base line then check the starter and report back with the 2 readings.

sjb0239

Cadet

Thanks to all for your input. It's always an education for me? It turned out to be the starter. Replaced it with a new one and it spins that motor like a top. Took it out last night. With new plugs and clean carbs, it ran pretty darn good. However, shouldnt a 60hp pushing a 15 foot aluminum crestliner runabout do better then 25 mph? I think it lacks a little power and speed. I really want to pull a skier? I tried to get a 210 lbs son up on 2 skis. I couldnt get the beginer out of the water. Im sure more power would have help. Do the carbs need synced or balanced, could there be timing issues, etc. perhaps I should be starting a new thread. Thoughts?

fireman57

Captain

I would start a new thread on this. I have a 15ft ski boat with a '77 75hp and it only does about 30 mph at 5200 rpms. What rpms are you turning? You should be able to pull up a skier on 2 but it will be a struggle with a fella that size. Repropping to a lower pitch might help but you will give up a little on the top end. More power is probably the way to go.